Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
shaynabags

My laptop won't connect to my router even though it sees it??

Hello,

I have a WRT110 wireless router. My problem is that my laptop has issues connecting to my router. It sees it and shows that there is a strong signal but sometime it will connect other times not. My laptop has no problem connecting to other wirelss routers. And my other devices have no problem connecting to our router. I've reset the router several times and changed the router to no password or security of any sorts. How can I get my Laptop to connect to my router?? I feel like it is a setting issue between the Router and the laptop. Is there a way I can erase the history of the router from the laptop and start fresh?? Like I've said I have reset the router several times. Does it have to do with my firewall?? It's just frustrating that my laptop can connect to anything but this Router. And my other devices like our blue-ray and Wii can connect to the router without problems so why can't my laptop and router connect to each other?? Please help!!!

mflannery

Re: My laptop won't connect to my router even though it sees it??

I am having the same problem with my WRT120N although it's just started in the last 2 weeks for me.  I got my laptop to connect over the weekend.  Today, the laptop disconnected with no warning locking up my computer.  Now, the laptop does not want to connect even though it recognizes my network and the signal is strong.    I have not had any problems in the last year with hooking up to the network.  The only thing I have changed was hook up my WII to the internet (which was quite difficult).    Could it have something to do with the changes I had to go through to hook up the WII?

I have firmware v1.0.05 which I installed to get the WII to connect to the router.

mflannery

I just changed the router to channel 11.  I am able to connect.  We'll see if I still have problems tomorrow or the next few days.

great_white

If your other computers are connected to the wireless network without any problem that means the router is working fine.

it must be the issue with your computer.

What is the operating system on your computer?

If it is windows XP computer then open Network connections. Right click on Wireless network connections and go to properties. Click on Wireless networks tab. If you see your wireless network under preferred wireless networks then remove all the networks. Try to connect to the wireless network again.

If it is windows 7/ Vista then open Network and sharing center. Go to Manage Wireless networks. if you see networks in the list then highlight and remove it.

Try to update the drivers of the wireless adapter on that computer.

shaynabags

Would I need to update the wireless driver even though the laptop has no problems connecting to other routers?? My laptop does fine anywhere else it just struggles to connect to my router. Like I said sometimes it will connect and sometimes it won't. More often it won't. It recognizes it and says it has a strong signal but I get a little yellow triangle. I was wondering if it was a security setting on my computer? I've set up our router to have no passwords. Could it be anything else??

mflannery

My wireless router is hooked up to my desktop which runs vista.  My laptop runs windows 7.  Like I said before, I have not had this problem until recently.  I have had the laptop for over a year.  It just seems to me there is a problem with the router.  My laptop can see the network, but the desktop doesn't recognize the laptop until I play around with the router settings.  I change a setting based on articles I find on your site.  I can then connect.   A few days later the connection is lost again.   The desktop never has a problem connecting to the internet through the router.

I noticed my desktop shows my router as "unknown" even though it has a name on the router settings.    It used to always show up with the name I gave it.  Why would that be?

If there is any info I can provide, let me know. 

thanks

Master14

Since other devices are having no problem then your router is working fine. I think you need to update the drivers of your laptop's wireless adapter.

:smileywink:

:smileywink:
meerkatman

I am having the smae problems and have done all of the things that my Laptop wants me to do, but how do I actually update the drivers of my Laptop's wireless adapter (my laptop is an emachines - windows 7)