violisforlife

My router and a Proxy server

i have my laptop connected to a linkys wireless router at my home. we have several computers connected to it. anyways here the thing, if i was to set up my internet explorer to run off a Proxy server, will my router detect that it is me that is accessing the web sites though the proxy or will all it see is a Proxy server, or does it ghost out? would the Proxy show up as a new IP address on the router logs or does the logs stll show my own IP address? i need someone to clarify what affect a Proxy would have on my router logs and other things. if someone within my homes network look up the router logs what would they see, would they be able to see what info i have been brousing, or would that be hidden by the Proxy

Re: My router and a Proxy server

As for your router's logs, I don't think it'd keep any "compromising" info aside from the source / dest IPs (or hosts), and the service ports in use.  You won't have to worry about personal info showing up on it.

If you don't want anyone to track the websites that you are going to, then a proxy would surely help even if you are behind a router.  The destination IP (or host) would always show up as the proxy server in your router's logs.  It would appear as if you are only browsing one site (the proxy) even if you have gone to several.  The source would always show your computer's IP though.

ahhhhhh. the frontal lobe is clearing and understanding comes. this is so much easier than using google. good. Routers are newer to me so i have some homework to do but ill get there. Ok that solves that.

thanks for the tip!
pbz06

Doesn't this depend on whether you set up your own proxy within the WLAN or your using an internet proxy? 

When I first read your post, I thought you were more worried about the destination site knowing who you are.

Interesting that you don't want your household to know where you've been surfing...
How old are you? Are you doing something malicious or illegal? :-O  :robotsurprised:  :smileymad::smileyvery-happy:  If you're worried about housemates, maybe, you should get a different place.

I guess if the question is being asked then it's unlikely that it's an internal proxy.  One who used an internal proxy probably is close to being the person who set up the proxy.  If the proxy were internal, then, the router logs would show that proxy as being the visitor of questionable, suspect sites.  And the website's would have a record of your router visiting.

Here's a solution, why do you need logs? If it's your router and you're paying for the rent and the ISP, you get to set the rules of which sites are appropriate.

Now, I've veered off topic.

thanks for clearing that up (internal / external).  I assumed that violisforlife was referring to external proxies.  Don't really see any need for internals for home use, not unless if they want to set up a cache or something. 

well to say the honest truth im 19 years old and the thing is is that im going to college for computer science and well lately i have been trying to take over my household internet and i have been doing alot of research on the net about things that some people just wont understand.... im not doing anything illegal as far as i know. i just dont want people snooping through what im doing (and im haveing fun doing it) and asking questions that i dont feel like explaining to someone who grew up with those 50lb calculators. also i worry about what kind of things might be coming at me from sides i dont know about and im really new to routers so i just have to know what can and cant be seen and what will and will not go through them. i read alot about the linksys on the web site but without the manual i cant learn all i need to so i have to ask questions, plus i doubt any of this would have been in the manual.
some things just dont need to be shared till i know how to explain them.