Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SharkAttack1

My router stopped working, no idea why.

I've had this thing for a couple of years now, it's a linksys Wireless-G broadband router and it's worked like a charm up until recently when it just died without any warning.

So far, here's what's happening with it:

• It will power on, but all 4 Ethernet lights and the Internet light will be turned on, whether they're connected or not. They don't flash, they stay constantly lit - but I can't get a connection through wireless or ethernet.
  • Reseting or unplugging the router does nothing to change this.
  • No matter what I do or what I press on the Router it still does not go through the motions that I recognise of it connecting to the internet back when it was "healthy".
  • I have not tried connecting it to the computer and attempting to access menus, but I don't know that would change anything

I'm currently running two MacBooks on the router, one wirelessly and one through ethernet - if anyone has had this problem before I'd love to know there's a solution, because buying another one would not be ideal. Thanks in advance!
SharkAttack1

Re: My router stopped working, no idea why.

So... no ideas?
helm

Hard reset your router for 1 minute...

Press and hold the reset button for 1 minute...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 1 minute and re-connect the power cable...Make sure your computer is connected to Ethernet Port1 and modem should be connected to Internet Port of the router...Check the Ethernet light(solid) and the Power light(solid), internet light should be blinking...

If you get the above mentioned lights then you should be able to re-configure your router...
SharkAttack1

Tried that and still no luck, all 5 lights are still on and the modem is still unfunctional. I've also tried holding reset while unplugging, replugging in the modem, to no avail.
helm

Did you reset the router or your Cable/DSL Modem ?

I meant to reset the router and not your modem...If you have resetted the router and you still get the same light status then I would assume your router is bricked and you need to get it replaced or you may try to reset the router for 2 minutes and if the light status remains same then you can conclude that it is defective...

SharkAttack1

Tried resetting the modem - still nothing. Restarting the router or holding down the reset button for any given amount of time also does nothing. 5 lights are still on no matter which way I work it and nothing appears to change this fact.

So I guess I have to replace it then.

Does anyone know why this happened so that I can at least avoid having it happen again?

helm

If you get the same light status even after resetting the router multiple times then I would assume that your router went bad and you need to buy a new router...

Can't say why this happened(may be due to a power outage or thunder/lightening storm)