donijo83
Accepted Solution

My router will not connect wirelessly anymore....please help!

My internet connection went out and when it was re-established, my router would not connect to the internet at all.  I have tried to reconfigure the router with the setup cd provided and now the router will connect via ethernet cable, however when I reomve the ethernet cord the connection is lost and when I try to connect wirelessly I get the message that "Windows cannot connect to this network."  Please help!  I have a HP laptop running Windows Vista 64-bit, an RCA cable modem, and the router model is WRT54G2.
brickmonkey

Re: My router will not connect wirelessly anymore....please help!

Make sure that wireless switch(wi-fi) on your laptop is turned on.Also if you are using any wireless utility then,you have to use that utility to connect the wireless network on your computer.

Also,try the following settings on the router...Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

Under the Wireless tab,Wireless Network mode should be mixed...Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box.Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings... Click on subtab wireless security to check/change the Network Key..

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings,Change the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

donijo83

it does not work.  when i attempt to connect to the network i get a message that tells me to press the config button on the router.  there's an option to enter the passphrase and when i choose that i get a message that says windows cannot connect to this network.  if i push the config button and proceed it says it cannot verify the settings & to verify the device pin.  i dont know what that is or how to do that.
brickmonkey

As you pressed the config button on the router,the SSID and security settings must have changed on the router..So open the router setup page again and redo the wireless settings (SSID and Security) on the router.

Once you done with the settings,On the computer..remove the preferred network and manually add the network.

Click Start >> Control Panel >> Network and Sharing Center >> Manage Wireless Networks, here remove all the networks present and close all the Window...Click on Start >> Control Panel >> Network and Sharing Center >> Manage Wireless Network and click on Add, select Manually Create a Network Profile and click Next, enter your Network SSID/Network Name, select WEP for Security type and enter your 10 digit Network Key and click on Next, it should say "Successfully Connected to ____" close all the Windows and see if you can connect to Internet Wirelessly...

donijo83

yes, thanks for your help