tsherm4470

My wireless network went from secure to unsecure without me changing it....

I have a Linksys wireless network in my home. I have a home pc, and I have two laptops that can connect to it.

I am using a WEP key for security. 

I noticed last night on my laptop that the connection to my network was "unsecure".  I didn't do anything to change this setting.  The only thing I can think of is my son hooked up his xbox 360 to the network yesterday to play online. 

Could that have "unsecured" my network? What do I need to do to "secure" it again?

Thanks for any help. I am confused as to what happened that would have disabled security.

kevj

Re: My wireless network went from secure to unsecure without me changing it....

Does your son have the password for your router? Hooking the xbox up shouldn't change the wirelss securuity settings. It's more likely 'someone' :smileywink: either logged in to the router and changed the setting, or reset it to factory defaults...
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
tsherm4470

My son has the password and connects to the network with his laptop. But I am pretty sure he doesn't know how to change any security settings. How can hackers change settings if security is on? He hooked up his x-box to my tv and then watched netflix. But I am positive that he doesn't know how to change security of turn it off.
kevj

unless you set them to be the same, the password for admin access to the router is not the same as the wireless authentication password. It is still trivial, however for someone to just factory reset the router, however that would set the router password back to 'admin' - you had changed it from the default, right? If not, and your router is set up with the SSID of linksys, and the default password, it could be reset, and you would never know the difference, except that the wireless security would have been disabled.

It is equally trivial for someone to log into the router frm within your network if you left the router access password at the default...I'd lay better than even odds this is an 'inside job' :smileyvery-happy:

-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
ridcully

Connecting the X-Box can not unsecure the network...Someone might reset the router by mistake and that's the reason it's showing you an unsecured network.To enable the security on the router,Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...to enable the security.