Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
alexstags

Need help setting up my Linksys E2500 router for gaming!

I need help opening my NAT and if anyone can help me choose the best settings for the router it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone asks, I am trying to optimize this router for my Xbox 360. I have tried almost all the Guide Me walkthroughs/guides to open the NAT, but I can't get it stick and the settings make the my connection horribly slow. Help!

Mort

Re: Need help setting up my Linksys E2500 router for gaming!

A known issue with Linksys routers is the NAT Type 3 or anything related to dropping of Internet connectivity during play time.  Network Address Translation (NAT) is the ability of a router or firewall to translate a public IP address to a private IP address and vice versa.  It adds security to the network by keeping the private IP addresses hidden from the outside world.

Gaming consoles such as Xbox 360®, PlayStation®3, and Wii™ often encounter NAT related issues resulting to poor gaming experience.  This problem is resolved by checking the settings on your router which contribute to NAT issues.

This is due to the built-in firewall of the router and to get past this, you will need to open ports on the router.  You may do this by either doing Port Forwarding or Port Triggering.  Once the ports are successfully opened, the NAT Type issue will change to Open or Moderate this making the gaming console work.

When it comes to opening of the ports, you will need to set the IP settings on the gaming console to static to complete the set-up.

Here is the link resolving NAT type issues: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=93&login=1&vw=1&app=search&articleid=22385&userrole=Links...