Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
brano

Need help with E1000 wireless router to block guest access

Hi there,

I just got E1000 cisco wireless router. Started setup, everything worked fine and replaced admin password with my own. For some reason got error message. tried to redo setup and got message router not recognized. used laptop and found out that wireless works fine. After few days noticed that there is a (mynetworkname) guest connection you can connect without any password. i don't need that stupid thing and my question is how to disable guest network? I cannot reach Main Menu from cd and have no idea where to look for it when i connect to router by web.

Thanks for any help!

Marvie100

Re: Need help with E1000 wireless router to block guest access

[ Edited ]

The only way to turn off the Guest User Account is through the Cisco Connect Software.  If you are unable to gain access to the Router via the Cisco Connect Software (because you changed some settings manually through the web interface) you will need to reset the router, Reset it up using the Cisco Connect Software, disable the guest account, and then go back to the web interface and manually reset up your settings.  There is no way to disable/enable the guest account "feature" using the web interface.

dhodge@ca.astound.net

Re: Need help with E2000 wireless router to block guest access

[ Edited ]

I just got a E2000 router and have the same problem.  Where in Cisco Connect (where in the menu structure) do I find the place to disable the "guest" account on wireless.  I do not want to broadcast that option.

alleymaxx

When you say connect using Cisco Connect what exactly do you mean?  I went to the router settings via 

192.168.1.1 and my.e1000 and neither of these provide me the option to turn off guest access.  I looked at the user guide online and had no luck there either. 

hugh@arcwear.com

This good to know.  It is ridiculous to make anyone use separate software to set up a router.  While I appreciate the help and I'm sure some users don't have a clue.  It took me about 1 hour to find that I couldn't turn this off on the webpage.  I'm glad you commented.

Jackej

I, too, have the same problem with disabling the guest connection.  I missed the answer in the e-mails to determine how to fix.  Could you elaborate on how to disable the copper-guest connection?

Thanks.

mrwulf54

Marvie you are correct about the only way to remedy this.  You have to reset to factory defaults.  In the case of XP you have to uninstall Cisco Connect, then reinstall and let it go through its rigamarole.  Then disable the guest account in the main menu that pops up.  Then connect to the router (potentially through router settings then advanced settings).  Of course if you want to change the password to the router as part of your setup, this should be the first thing you do.  Because otherwise you will be stuck entering the randomly generated string they created in the Connect setup.  I find it quite lackluster that they have added this guest account feature, but not made a way to disable it manually through their administration interface.  Given I don't have  an exceptionally heavy manual setup, but to top it all off, saving off your configuration before restoring factory defaults to disable this Connect only enabled feature (guest account) and restoring that setting manages to re-establish the guest account.  So in figuring this out, I ended up having to restore to factory defaults twice this evening.  Not my idea of a well thought out administration interface.

tms4k78

frankfrank

[ Edited ]

we never needed this client software before or to give up admin access to my machine.    at what point do the firmware upgrades render the reset button unusable? and enable guest access by default?    what kind of guest in our homes  needs to be put on a separate segment anyway, a convict?

(Mod note: edited for guidelines compliance)

marsellajulio

I have a d-Link router.  when I am using the internet a Cisco screen pops up asking me for my "guest access assword" and it could be found using Cisco Connect.

I have tried going to  Start+All Programs+Cisco Connect.........The problem is I don't have cisco connect and/or If I do, I cannot find it to try and disable this pain in the _ _ _!  I am losing too much time getting thrown off the internet and trying to come up with solutions.  My computer (Laptop was purchased at Best Buy and the soft ware was inatalled by the Geek Squad.

HELP!!!