Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ichigo

Need help with wireless speeds..

[ Edited ]
I just got myself a WRT54GS wireless router and i have noticed the speeds being extremely slow. I've gone through all of the threads and didn't get anything that could help.  I have tried what some mention, about changing the beacon interval to 50 and the Frag and RTS to 2304. Also i have changed the wireless channel a couple of times. Still nothing..

Now onto my connection in general, i have cable and the speeds when direct connected are very fast. I typically download at about 300kb+ and i can get mb download speeds as well.  But while hooked up wirelessly it has been going at about 20kbs. When i try and watch streaming videos and all, it will be break up and all of that..due to the slow speed.  BTW i don't believe there is anything interfering at all. The comp is in the same room as the router as well

This is my first time dealing with wireless, so any info and help would be greatly appreciated. What are some good ways to get the speeds up?  The comp i have is new as well lol  I know it limits a lot of the help, but this is a pain in the butt. Thanks

Message Edited by Ichigo on 07-22-2007 10:13 AM

Message Edited by Ichigo on 07-22-2007 11:58 AM
Carrot

Re: Need help with wireless speeds..

first off , ensure that the router has the latest firmware .... then change the wireless settings on the router
ssid - any non-linksys name
channel - either 1,9 or 11

if this doesn't make any difference , try updating the wirelss adapter's drivers...

Ikester

If wireless security is not a issue then leave your router open.  All security methods will slow your speed down due to the extra steps to secure everything.  Try hard wiring your new PC to the router and see if it makes any difference on the speed.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Ichigo

[ Edited ]
Thanks for replying. I have the latest firmware and i do have a unique name for the SSID. I have also changed the channel a couple of times as well.

I figured there is a chance that the whole security deal, might be an issue. But i wouldn't want to leave anything open, for the most part i just want the speeds to be up enough to where it doesn't seem like i have dial up  lol   I just got this computer, so i don't think i have tried it while being direct connected. I'll see if i get the same speeds i always have with the other comp (which is direct connected though) Since this computer is brand new, i would be pretty sure everything should be just as fast if not a lot faster now  lol Also would Norton Internet Security cause any issues with the speeds?? (It was on the comp)

Any other suggestions??  I'm sure there are a lot of them, since i don't doubt that this is a big issue with wireless.  Since wireless isn't flawless yet still.

Message Edited by Ichigo on 07-23-2007 03:28 PM

Message Edited by Ichigo on 07-23-2007 03:30 PM
Jam22

It could be Norton, but I have it and it works just fine. Try and unplugging your router and modem, maybe?
Ichigo

Alright, here is an idea of my connections...

When i am direct connected i get
12528kb download and 1342 upload.

When connected wireless it is 869 kb download and 1312 upload. When i have checked before, its usually in the low 1000's download.

I have Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN network, with the most recent drivers.  I noticed there are a lot of different options under the network device.  I made it so its G only, will that slow it down??  Should i leave it on B and G??  If anyone has a similar card and router and had similar problems, i could use the help. Its abit irritating knowing my speeds are this slow, i know its not going to be close to the same as if im direct connected. But i know it should be alot higher than it is.
Ichigo

So is there anything i can do???  Whenever i do speeds tests, it shows between 800kbs and 1800kbs.  It seems to fluctuate to that lowest speed every other time i do it. Are there any settings i can change on my network card??  I don't feel like going back to being wired, i know there must be other things i can do. Thanks
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
Set "SSID Broadcast" to "enabled". This will help your computer find and lock on to your router's signal.

Poor wireless connections are often caused by radio interference from other 2.4 GHz devices. This includes wireless phones, wireless baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless mice and keyboards, wireless speakers, and your neighbor's wireless network. In rare cases, Bluetooth devices can interfere. Even some 5+ GHz phones also use the 2.4 Ghz band. Unplug these devices, and see if that corrects your problem.

In your router, try a different channel. There are 11 channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Usually channel 1, 6, or 11 works best. Check out your neighbors, and see what channel they are using. Because the channels overlap one another, try to stay at least +5 or -5 channels from your strongest neighbors. For example, if you have a strong neighbor on channel 9, try any channel 1 through 4.

Also, try to locate the router about 4 to 6 feet above the floor, in an open area. Do not locate it behind your monitor or near other computer equipment or speakers. The antenna should be vertical.

What encryption are you using?  WEP?  WPA?  WPA2?  Some systems work significantly better with one encryption system vs. another.  So try something different.  WEP is no longer recommended.  You should be using WPA or preferably WPA2.  Password (key) should not have any spaces in it.

Windows XP requires a patch to run WPA2 (= PSK2 = WPA with AES ). Go to Microsoft Knowledge base, article ID=893357 and it will direct you to the patch.
Sadly, the patch is not part of the automatic Windows XP updates, so lots of people are missing the patch.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 07-25-2007 05:24 AM
Ichigo

Im psyched now  lol  I tried the WPA2 personal option and now its working great.  So is WPA2 as safe as WPA??  Thanks for the help.  One more question...

If i turn off Wireless SSID broadcast, how do i make my computer connect still??  Does the MAC address have to do with it?? Thanks again
toomanydonuts

I used to recommend that "SSID Broadcast" be set to "disabled" for security reasons.  However, newer cracking methods have made this old trick worthless.   So now I recommend leaving SSID Broadcast set to enabled.  When SSID Broadcast is enabled, it is easier for your computer to find and lock on to your router's signal, and this should result in some (probably small) improvement in performance.

WPA2 is considered a more secure encryption method than WPA.  However, for good security, you must use a strong password.

Picking Passwords (keys): You should never use a dictionary word as a password. If you use a dictionary word as a password, even WPA2 can be cracked in a few minutes. When you pick your login password and encryption key (or password or passphrase) you should use a random combination of capital letters, small letters, and numbers, but no spaces. A login password, should be 12 characters or more. WPA and WPA2 passwords should be at least 24 characters. Note: Your key, password, or passphrase must not have any spaces in it.

Most home users should have their routers set so that "remote management" of the router is disabled. If you must have this option enabled, then your login password must be increased to a minumum of 24 random characters.

If you use WPA or WPA2, and passwords as described above, you do not need to worrry about broadcasting your SSID !