Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hattie

Need to find my WEP/WPA Code Key to unlock my laptop! Please someone help?

I got new laptop but lost my code key to let me use the wireless connection.  Anyone know where I can locate code or how to reset it?
toomanydonuts

Re: Need to find my WEP/WPA Code Key to unlock my laptop! Please someone help?

What router are you using?

Using a computer that is wired to your router, login to the router.
Go to the "Wireless" tab.   Start looking at the various subtabs.  If you find one labeled "Wireless Security", go there.  Otherwise, just start looking through the settings on the various subtabs until you find something like:

encryption  WEP , or encryption WPA .

Nearby, you will see a "password", "passphrase", and/or "key"

For WEP, enter WEP "key 1" into your computer, not the WEP password or passphrase.

For WPA, enter the key (sometimes called password or passphrase) into your computer. 
gandalf

You can access the set up for the router and find out the security key. All you have to do is  log on to set up page using  http://routerip use the password  as "admin" and  check Wireless tab and then Wireless Security sub tab to find the network key. 
david amirault

I am trying to connect ot a wireless site that requires a cisco wpe or wpa key. What does that mean?

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

[ Edited ]

Hi david amirault and welcome to the forums!

If that site requires a security (WPA/WEP) key, that means that it is secured. You need to ask the router's owner or the administrator of the wireless network for the password in order to connect to it.

Sleepyhead1

hi. yes you can retrieve your router's WEP/WPA key. It would be better if you use a computer connected to the router for easier access.. however if there is none you can connect your laptop to the router using an ethernet cable. or use a laptop that is connected to the network and has internet access .

You can choose from these links:

Checking the Wireless Settings on a Linksys Router

Checking Valet or Linksys Wireless-N Router Name and Password in Cisco Connect

sweeete

Need to find my WEP network key to add my wireless printer...where is it?

hiptechboy

[ Edited ]

My 1st piece of advice to give to you is to switch from WEP to WPA2, because WEP is pretty easy to crack according to numerous websites and people. 

As for where to find the key, go into your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 (the default password is "admin" if you haven't changed it (which you should)). Then go to Wireless-->wireless security. That is where you will find it and be able to utilize my first piece of advice :smileywink: 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.