Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
bhbrtn

Netflix problem

I have a problem with my WRK54G router when trying to watch a movie on netflix.

I have a 2Mbs fiber optic Internet connection and can watch movies instantly on netflix if I hookup directly to the wire. When I try to view a movie on my laptop through the wireless router.....netflix says my connection is too slow and the movie will start in half an hour. All other tests say I have a 2Mbs connection even when I am wireless. I don't have anything else on the router and I have four bars.....but it does the same thing even if I am sitting right next to the router. I am using WPA encryption.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can adjust the settings to speed things up for netflix? Does this 54Mbs router have so much overhead that it can't pass through a 2Mbs Internet connection?
toomanydonuts

Re: Netflix problem

Wireless connections are not as solid as wired connections.  Speed can vary and sometimes connections can be transiently interrupted.  I suspect that your Netflix software is detecting this, and prefers to buffer a larger amount of data, to help ensure that the movie will play more smoothly.

Additionally, despite "four bars", you can still have a lot of radio wave interference on your channel.  This is a common problem in areas where there are many wireless networks.

A wireless g network connects at 54 Mbps, but its maximum data transmission rate under ideal conditions (read: not in your home) is about 20 to 25 Mbps.  Most home users are lucky to get 10 Mbps of wireless data transfer.

There are several things you can try, to see if you can improve your wireless speed and reliability:

First of all, give your network a unique SSID. Do not use "linksys". If you are using "linksys" you may be trying to connect to your neighbor's router. Also set "SSID Broadcast" to "enabled". This will help your computer find and lock on to your router's signal.

Poor wireless connections are often caused by radio interference from other 2.4 GHz devices. This includes wireless phones, wireless baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless mice and keyboards, wireless speakers, and your neighbor's wireless network. In rare cases, Bluetooth devices can interfere. Even some 5+ GHz phones also use the 2.4 Ghz band. Unplug these devices, and see if that corrects your problem.

In your router, try a different channel. There are 11 channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Usually channel 1, 6, or 11 works best. Check out your neighbors, and see what channel they are using. Because the channels overlap one another, try to stay at least +5 or -5 channels from your strongest neighbors. For example, if you have a strong neighbor on channel 9, try any channel 1 through 4.

Also, try to locate the router about 4 to 6 feet above the floor, in an open area. Do not locate it behind your monitor or near other computer equipment or speakers. The antenna should be vertical.

Also, in the computer, go to your wireless software, and go to "Preferred Networks" (sometimes called "Profiles" ). There are probably a few networks listed. Delete any network named "linksys". Also delete any network that you do not recognize, or that you no longer use. If your current network is not listed, enter its info (SSID, encryption (if any), and key (if any) ). Then select your current network and make it your default network, and set it to automatic login. You may need to go to "settings" to do this, or you may need to right click on your network and select "Properties" or "settings".  Reboot computer.

If the above does not fix your problem, download and install the latest driver for your wireless card.

Some users have reported improved wireless performance by switching from WEP to WPA encryption.

If you continue to have problems, try the following:

For wireless g routers, try setting the "Transmission Rate" to 54 Mbps. For wireless n routers, try setting the "n Transmission Rate" to 162 Mbps, and the (wireless g) "Transmission Rate" to 54 Mbps.

If you still have trouble, download and install the latest firmware for your router. After a firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch. If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

Hope this helps.
bhbrtn

Thanks,
I think I have done most of that but I will review everything again. It seems like when I first set up my system I could see what channel my neighbors were using. I can't find that now that everyone is encrypted. I settled on channel 4 by trial and error looking to get as far as possible away from channels that gave me only three bars.

My problem is that I now have six other wireless routers in range. Any advice? besides moving...
Mort

I am not sure that why it is showing low speed ... But still you can try upgrade the firmware of the router ...
toomanydonuts

My only other thought on your case is that a wireless n system is generally more suitable to streaming video than a wireless g system.  Note however, that even a wireless n system can have problems with video.  Also note that to get the benefits of wireless n, both your router and your wireless adapter would need to be wireless n.

But hopefully, just tuning up your wireless g system, as outlined in my previous post, will correct your problem.
netman2670

I am having this exact issue with my Linksys router as well.  I suspect something else though.  I have used the 'Watch Now' feature since its inception.  I have never had issues like this until recently.  Interestingly, it coincided with Netflix opening the barn doors to unlimited viewing.  Once that happened, I began to have slowdown issues like this.  Any amount of bandwidth testing, tweaking my router, etc is to no avail.  I do not have any issues with wireless connectivity with any other area.  Downloads are consistently rated at 8 meg or above.  I use a music streaming service (not generally at the same time as Netflix) without problem.  Nothing else stands out in my network performance to cause this spontaneously.  I really don't think this is a local issue.  I believe something has changed at Netflix and I'm really disappointed.  Watch Now is really my more favorite part of Netflix than the video rentals.  I sure wish they had email tech support.  I certainly hate waiting on hold for hours to speak to a live person.  I'll keep looking for an answer though.
kuhny

We have the same problem.  If we hook our lap top straight to the cable box, there is only a 30 sec. wait the most.  But if we go through our linksys router it would take up to 2 hours sometimes for a 43 min. show.  When we go to our friend's house w/ only up to 1.5 G of download, it's almost immediately as well.  I spoke w/ a guy from Netflix for 45 min. and he told me that he has had several complaints in the last month of the same problem and he himself has experienced it at his home.  He said that Netflix is looking into the problem.  Not sure if they will do anything about it though as they are moving toward having a box on your TV for immediate watching.  I'd be interested to know how many more people have this problem. 
zoostation

Funny, because I am having the exact same issues. Netflix Instant Viewing worked great until a few weeks ago, now all I get at all is the "your internet connection spped is too slow....." message for hours on end. I can't use the service at all. This despite the fact I have great performance with any other streaming media and my internet connection tests as plenty fast enough.

I have been on the phone with netflix support, and verizon (my ISP) support at length and they cannot find anything wrong. I'm here because just by process of elimination the 54G router is the only thing left I can think of.

I know netflix recently opened up the viewing to unlimited but I don't think it would slow things down like this. I can't use the service at all regardless of how long I wait.
leezurd

I wanted to put my two cents in regarding Netflix issue. I had identical problems as the previous posts mention. Spent a long time with Netflix and my DSL provider. Bottom line pointed towards a router problem. I use Linksys WRT54G version 5, and read all the posts regarding having slow internet speed. My router apparently needed a firmware upgrade, so I did this, and voila, my internet connection speed went from 300 kb to 2000 kb. I am now able to watch the Netflix Watch it Now flawlessly. I agree that something still seems suspicious as to why all this happened right at the time Netflix allows unlimited Watch it Now. But for those of you having trouble, check your routers and see if you need a firmware upgrade....hope this helps!
kuhny

Thank you leezurd for your "two cents" re: the Netflix issue.  We downloaded the firmware a few mins ago and it is super fast!!!  Thank you!!!!