Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Tommy Tea Cup

Network security and the EA6500

I read it is best to disconnect from the internet when not in use.
I can shut off my modem that came with my IPS but wondering if local hackers could hack into
my still open wireless connection. (modem is hard to reach)
using parental controls if I shut off internet access for certain devices at certain times does that stop both inbound and outbound traffic? I do this do I still need to shut off my modem?
finally is there a way to see the actual time that my router is set to? not just time zone.

I am not very tiny - I just like my tea.
lheyvens

Re: Network security and the EA6500

You said that your wireless network is opened? So it means your network is unsecured right? If that's the case I would recommend that you secure your network & used WPA2 personal as your security mode. If  your network is opened then it is prone for hackers to hack it & so having it secured will prevent intruders from accessing your network.

Tommy Tea Cup

Sorry that was a poor choice of words on my part.
What I wanted to say was that my modem from my ISP has an off switch so I shut that off but notice that my wireless network is still active.  Can a local hacker jump on to that still active wireless network?  I am not even sure I said it right this time.
I live in Manhattan, NY and have more people on my block than many have living within a mile.  I also have no choice but to keep my modem, router and media device right infront a wall that is all glass.

opheliaimmortal23

With your modem turned off, is the router still plugged-in for power? If so, the wireless is still visible but wireless internet will not work if someone would want to connect for wireless internet service. It is best to enable security on your router to make sure that no one can connect not unless you provide the wireless password. You can use WPA2 security.

Tommy Tea Cup

The routher is still plugged in.  I have wpa2 security but I am thinking even that is not hack proof. 

Expert
zee29

There is no perfect wireless security. I think anything can be hacked these days. It would be best to change your wifi password from time to time. Even if there is no internet connection as long as the router is broadcasting the network it is still possible that someone can connect to it. There are some people who uses an adhoc network for file sharing purposes. So if someone can connect to your network there might be a chance that they can get into your files. Like what I suggested take the time to change your wireless password from time to time. And it is good that you are using WPA2 (aes).