Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
hillary681

Re: New Cisco Linksys e4200 internal DNS not resolving

have you tried the dd-wrt firmware then? by the way, you mentioned this setup used to work with an older router? what's the model number? maybe this setup is not something that this router supports...

christianw

Yeah it seemed to work on an old rubbish netgear I had, problem is I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for, I've narrowed it down to DNS Name Reservation, but I might be wrong.

Seeing as I can connect to machine.local I'm going to leave it as it is while I mess with some other things on the network. In the mean time, if anyone has worked out what I'm going on about, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help so far

Christian

Jake_2.0

You mentioned that this kind of setup works fine with your netgear router router. Can you check the settings that you have set on your netgear router and replicate those settings to your Cisco router.

christianw

Well they were totally different interfaces, but I don't have the router anymore anyway.

Ok so this is the bit that confuses me. The DHCP Reservation bit of my router lists the computers on the network by name, so it defo has the ability to read that, but currently stuck with .local, which isn't a problem, but I'd just like to know why.

ScreenShot

Expert
zee29

I believe that it is with the way that this router has been designed. I noticed that they started with the E4200 to make the access to the router easier by just typing in myrouter.local instead of using 192.168.1.1. So that could be one reason why it works for you by adding ".local".

christianw

Yeah it's a bit wierd. I've just added a PogoPlug with ArchLinux installed on it as a server and that doesn't have any kind of name lookup even though it pops up with a name atm, so I think it's just a bit of a gap in my knowlege about this stuff.

Obviously I know if I edit my /etc/hosts on each computer I can access it fine, which is what I've done, I was just hoping that there way something that I was missing that would assign names dynamically over the network.

Thanks for all the advice

Christian

mkeeves

I still believe this is a fault with the router - surely you shouldn't have to put '.local' after anything which is sitting on the internal network, the router should always try to resolve that name internally first, before looking outside of the network (i.e. onto the internet).