Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jenster429

No Internet Connection

We have WRT320N (Model No.)  and when I moved i notice that my wirelss network does not have internet connection. Even after I hook everything up it doesn''t work, my computer does not recognize the network but the laptop does. I have prior knowledge about computers and the internet but I don't know why I am having a problem. Is it because I moved and the data in my previuos home does not match the data here?

RogerSC

Re: No Internet Connection

Can you please mention what has changed in your networking configuration from your original place to your new home?  Did you move from DSL to cable or vice-versa?  There are various changes that you would need to make in your router settings for various "environmental" changes.

In any case, when you move you should review the settings on your router to correspond to your new configuration.  If you can mention what's changed, and what you have connected to your router, some suggestions can be made.

Jenster429

Okay, I have both a computer and a laptop. In my previous home I purchased  a wireless router for my laptop, hook everything up and it was good. So now I moved like 2 blocks away from my old location, the cable company came and  turned on the internet. Everything was fine until I decided hook my router to my modem,  my computer didn't  recognize the network at all but my laptop did, however my laptop nor my computer had internet access. 

RogerSC

Okay, generally speaking, you should get a wired computer working directly on your cable modem first.  Then once you have that working, you can connect your router to your modem, and clone your PC's MAC address so that it sees the same MAC address as it did when you had the PC plugged directly into it and working on the internet.  Then you can go ahead and configure your router for wireless, etc.

When I've done this, gotten a computer working directly on a cable modem for a new cable connection, I've powered off the modem and the computer.  Then connect the computer to the modem, and power up the modem and the computer, and they usually find each other.  You can go to a DOS prompt window and look at the output from the "ipconfig /all" command, and see that your computer has an IP address and is on the internet.  

Once everything is up, you may need to release the computer's IP address a couple of times, and then have it renew your IP address a couple of times.  I have not had to do this, but it is possible that you might have to do this.

At this point, you can disconnect the computer from the modem, and connect the router to the computer via a cable.  Don't connect the router to the modem until you've at least cloned your PC's MAC address into the router.  And also go through your router settings at this point, and make sure that it's set up as you need it.  Your user guide (which you can download from Linksys Support) is very useful for this, if you're not sure what you're doing.  It goes through manual configuration step-by-step.

After you've got the router set up the way you need it, then you should be able to plug it into the modem.  Go to the Status page on the router, and see if you have an internet address.  If not, try releasing the IP address a couple of times, then renew your IP address a couple of times (there are buttons for doing this on the router status page).  When you've done this, your router should have an IP address, and things will be fine from there on.

At this point, you can go and set up your wireless.  Use WPA2 security mode if you can, or WPA if WPA2 isn't available.  And be sure to set up a strong passphrase.