No connection to 5GHz band on E3000 dual band?

Hello all. Please help. I have the new XBOX 360 black N wireless adapter and the Linksys E3000 dual band router as I want to upgrade the network range and speed to N. I set up a unique SSID and passphrase (WPA2) for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. My XBOX could connect to the 2.4GHz band network and could connect to XBOX Live. But when I configured all the settings and tried to connect to the 5GHz band network, but no luck. My XBOX just said it failed to connect. I was sure that I did type in the SSID and passphrase correctly. I still cannot figure out what went wrong. I even suspected either the wireless adapter or the router malfunctioned. Would anyone please help me out? Thanks a bunch.

Re: No connection to 5GHz band on E3000 dual band?

What is the model no of the Wireless Adapter you are using on the X-Box...?

Make sure that the adapter does support 5GHz in-order to use the 5GHz network of the router.

I have the Wireless N xbxo360 adapter and the E3000 and was able to connect without issue to the 5ghz SSID that I created.

Not to insult your intelligence, but does your 360 adapter have 1 or 2 antenna's?

Its pretty straight forward.

Can you see both SSID's?

Also check to insure that the 5Ghz band is set to auto 20Mhz/40Mhz and auto channel -

This is really the only place that you can change things that would possibly cause you to not be able to connect.

I'm having a similar issue with the new Xbox 360 slim.  It comes with an integrated wireless N adapter that the technical papers at Microsoft say can operate on 2.4 or 5 Ghz.  However, I've been unable to get it to recognize the 5Ghz band on the E3000.  As it is the only N device I have it is the only way I can verify that the N band is working on my E3000.  When I disable the 2.4 band and leave only the N band running the adapter does not see the E3000 at all.  It's as if it is not broadcasting at all.  Even manually inputting the SSID and passphrase for the 5Ghz band does not work, it is still unable to see the E3000.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this issue.

I am having the same problem.  In fact, I was unable to connect to the E3000 with my new xbox360 on either band.  However, after some work with tech support, we got it running by changing the channel on the 2.4ghz band to channel #6.  At that time, I was so happy that I was able to connect that I forgot all about the 5ghz band.  Now I'm wondering if that's the same problem?  Perhaps trying another channel??  I may give this a run latter today if I get a chance.  Hope this helps. 

Expert
Expert

I don't know which technical paper at Microsoft says it can operate on 5 GHz. All I can find on xbox.com is that it's compatible with 802.11n/b/g which means it operates on 2.4 GHz only. It does not support 802.11a, i.e. it does not work on 5 GHz.

Well I just tried all 8 channels for the 5ghz band and MY new xbox 360 was unable to pick up any of them.  I did give the channel it's own name prior to starting the testing so that I would know for sure if the band was picked up.  I'd be intersted to know if anyone else has any luck with detecting and connecting to the 5ghz band. 

Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]

As I wrote before: the xbox does not support the 5 GHz band. It does not matter which channel you may use on the router.

802.11n support does not mean it must be able to operate on the 5 GHz band.

Not to pull up old threads, but i've had this same issue with the E2500 alongside the Xbox 360 Wireless N DUAL BAND adapter. It DOES support 5 ghz band and i'm getting not a single bit of it.

Has anyone found any relief from this problem?

The wireless N adapter does in fact support the 2.4 and 5gHz bands with 802.11n. I'm having the same exact problem, and more information can be found here: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/p/36378/224370.aspx?PageIndex=1

This thread obviously needs to be pulled back up, for it was buried before anything useful came out of it, and a lot of people seem to be suffering from this problem.