Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
pajuliet

No connection to Internet, but connected to router? Check your firewall(?!)

Consider pinning this suggestion to wireless and wired router forums.

Have an E3000 wireless router.

Network of:

-2 laptops, both of them wired and wireless.

-Droid - wireless (duh)

-HDTV - wireless

-BluRay player - wireless

-Cell phone local "tower" (antenna) to Internet connector - wired

One laptop suddenly lost its Internet connection, wired and wireless, while on the Internet for no apparent reason.

All other devices remained connected and functioning.

-CISCO on line chat troubleshooting exhausted their script and gave up.

-Updated router software, and wiereless and ethernet drivers on affected system. Re-installed drivers.

-Power-cycled system, router and modem.

-Scoured this Board for others' related problems and solutions, and tried most of them.

-Tried a paid "Answers" service that suggested a number of Windows and Browser configuration settings changes and router settings changes as well.

All of the above failed.

Finally, turned off third-party (McAfee) firewall. Fixed!

Re-set firewall to its Default settings and turned back on. Settled down. Running Normally.

Don't ask me...

sarla

Re: No connection to Internet, but connected to router? Check your firewall(?!)

Jeff-S

[ Edited ]

Tried that with no luck. I upgraded from a WRT54GS which I never had a problem with. I have spent 6 hours trying to get this to work. It seems to only work on the machine that I do the install from. I show connection but I cannot get anywhere from my browser. I have tried from my Mac and from a Vista PC. I can connect with no issues as a guest but that is not what I purchased this modem for. I gave up trying to set the IP address because every time I tried I had to go back and start from scratch. This has been the most frustrating experience I have ever had with a piece of hardware.

(Mod note: Edited for forums compliance.)

gstover

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem (same symptoms), but with a different solution.  Here's what I had & how I fixed it in case it helps anyone else.

The situtation

1. Before getting a Cisco/Linksys E3000, I had a Linksys WRT54GL, & everything worked fine.

2. Replaced it with a new E3000.

3. All computers could reach the Internet via Ethernet (a.k.a. wired) connections with no problems.  This was a Playstation 3, two XP desktops, a Win7 desktop, & an Acer Aspire One laptop.

4. iPhone could reach Internet wirelessly.

5. The Acer Aspire One laptop could not reach the Internet wirelessly.  (This was the problem.)  Like pajuliet said, the OS reported that there was a good wireless connection, but I couldn't do anything with it: browsers couldn't reach anything, couldn't ping anything.

The solution (brief)

The Acer Aspire 1's wireless network chipset is Atheros AR5007EG.  The solution was to upgrade that driver.  Ultimately, upgrading to  version 7.7.0.523 worked.  After that upgrade, I use the Easy Quick Key (or whatever it's called, on a USB memory stick) to setup the wireless connection.  After that, it's working great.

The solution (details)

1. I connected the Acer Aspire One to the network with Ethernet (a wire).
  2. Searched the web for the most recent driver for Atheros AR5007EG for Windows XP, 32-bit.  The most recent I found as of 2011-02-26 was version 7.7.0.523.  Found it at this .cz website.   (The site is an eye-sore, & it tries to sell you some kind of "AtherosDrivers.exeAtherosDrivers.exe" utility which I neither needed nor trusted.  However, if you scroll to the bottom of the first big section, there's a "click for download" link.  I used that to get just the drivers in a ZIP file.)
  3. With the driver in hand (so to speak), run "devmgmt.msc" to get the Device Manager window.
  4. Expand the "network adapters" & double-click the Atheros AR5007EG device to get its Properties window.
  5. Use the "Update driver" button.
  6. To update the driver, I took the default of having Windows search for the driver, but I used the "Browse" button to root the search at the directory in which I had expanded the drivers ZIP file.
  7. The update worked, no errors.
  8. Shutdown.
  9. Unplug network cable.
  10. Reboot.
  11. Use the Cisco "Easy Setup Key" (or whatever it's called), which I had previously setup on a USB memory stick.
  12. Used a web browser to verify that everything was working fine.
  13. Reboot & verify again, to be sure.

Whew!  Lots of steps, but went off without a hitch.  The only difficulties I encountered are in the next section (so you can avoid them & save yourself some time).

(Though I had to track down & install the drivers myself, the correct diagnosis of an out-of-date driver goes a tech from Cisco.  Thanks again)

What didn't work

1. Shutting down my firewall (McAffee 360) didn't help.  (In this respect, my problem & solution differed from pajuliet's.)
  2.  Since I didn't trust the .CZ web site where I ultimately got good drivers, I first tried drivers from Acer's web site.  I think the version they had was 7.6.0.224.  It was newer than those already on my laptop, but it didn't solve the problem.  So I went back to the .CZ web site & tried the 7.7.0.523 driver that did solve the problem.
  3. Repeated attempts to use the Easy Setup Key didn't work.
  4. Using the Cisco setup CD on the laptop didn't work.  (Well, it worked when the Ethernet cable was plugged in, but that wasn't the problem.)

rliz45

Re: No connection to Internet, but connected to router? Acer w/Atheros AR5007EG - other drivers

Hope this helps too - was having problems w/an Acer  laptop/Vista w/Atheros network adapter. Found even more current drivers on the Toshiba European website - http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads

-Made sure all Windows updates were in place.

-Downloaded the Atheros driver, unzipped and saved it    

-Went through Device Manager and to the network adapter to update the driver software

-Went through Network and Sharing Center, used the USB key. Was still getting error messages

-The Acer eNet Management box popped up - went into settings and at that point, it recognized the net adapter

-Unplugged the modem, waited (at least 10 secs)

-Rebooted the modem

-Shut down and rebooted the Acer

When it booted back up, it connected to the internet. I had worked on this off and on for several days. Was surprised to find drivers through Toshiba but they apparently put Atheros adapters in a few PCs and were having problems too. Now, if someone could just tell me how to get 10m out of my Toshiba from this router instead of the 5m I'm getting, I'd be almost set!

Chromehero

Re: No connection to Internet, but connected to router? Acer w/Atheros AR5007EG - other drivers

Same as the other guys:

Atheros AR5007 wifi mini card in a laptop.

Plugged in the E3000 and this one laptop could no longer connect.

Went to the site above, searched for my specific card and OS, and it worked!

Thank you so much for the advice, and the link!!!

kckeng

awesome details

almost identical problem to my own.......

followed your instructions....everything works perfectly........very good instructions

kck

Twiggyann

Thanks everyone for such great details.  I just want to add mine in case it's helpful to someone else. 

We just got the E3000 router.  My Compaq Presario A900 Notebook was the only computer/device in the house that couldn't connect.  How frustrating it was that 3 other computers would connect but not the laptop I use most.

As with all the other comments, it was my Atheros driver, specifically the  AR5007 802.11 b/g 

I first checked the Compaq site for an updated driver.  They had one dated 2008 but that didn't solve the problem.  I went to http://www.atheros.cz and downloaded the 9.1.0.328 version for Vista 32 bit.

I am now connected to the internet under my own power.  Thanks so much pointing me to the answer before I broke something.  heheheh

mlapp

OK - here's a weird twist - any ideas?  I am losing it over this...

Have been using E3000 for close to a year now with no problems, up until 4-5 days ago.  Suddenyl all Apple devices (Imac, Ipad, & Iphone) stopped being able to access the internet & mail - they connect to the router.  PCs in the house work just fine - it is only the Apple products that don't work now (although will work sporadically...)

I'm lost...

Heery

THANK YOU!!!

My wireless has not been working for over a year.  I could connect with ethernet cable and the wireless always said it was connected but the browers wouldn't respond.  I have an ACER aspire 1 with Atheros ar5007eg and windows xp.  I installed the driver update 7.7.0.523.  (I had already "searched" for updates through the properties but none was found.)

I downloaded the zip file, extracted to my desktop.  Ran the devmgmt.msc program and browsed for the file to search. 

Rebooted and HOORAY!  It worked!