Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
josephlee01

No internet access via wireless router

need help please...i just got att dsl and linksys wireless g router. dsl works...if i plug in via data cable i get internet access; however, i can't get internet access via router...shows that i'm connected to router but can't get internet access....

Re: No internet access via wireless router

Hi,  I have the same problem.  I was wireless lastnight, tonight as you, I need to use the verizon dsl cable not the Linksys wireless otherwise I have no connection.  I've tried everything.  Resetting the Linksys, resetting the verizon  modem including spending 85 minutes with a Verizon Tech.  I've had the Linksys wireless router for 4 years, maybe its time for a new one???  HELP!!
bradleyk

[ Edited ]
I am having the same problem.  I got Verizon DSL yesterday, and as long as the modem is wired to my computer, everything is fine.  the router is a version 6.0 and i purchased it last friday. I hook up the router, and my computer can connect to the router, both wired and wireless, but there is no internet.  I have checked all the IP settings, and done the physical resets numerous times.  I originally thought it was a compatability problem with Vista, but the router is listed as compatible on the Linksys website.  I am prepared to return it as faulty. Any suggestions on what I can do to remedy the problem before resorting to merchandise return?

Message Edited by bradleyk on 02-09-200706:09 AM

OK..
I don't know if this is going to work for all 3 of you or not. Josephlee this might work for you, since you have AT&T DSL. Then again, it might or might not work for any of you. I am currently a BellSouth DSL customer. I had to set my modem to "bridge mode" before being able to use my Linksys WRT54G to access the internet. I can't explain how to set your DSL modem to "bridge mode." Your internet service provider will have to do that. If any of you can get your modem set to "bridge mode" I can give you some advice...
If you can get your DSL modem (Verizon, AT&T, Bellsouth, etc.) set to "bridge mode" this should help you out. By setting your modem to bridge mode, this allows your Linksys router to control all internet access. Basically it opens up your  DSL modem to allow any and all internet access straight through it, just like opening a water line. If your modem is set to bridge mode, let's continue...
Open Internet Explorer or whatever web browser you use. Go to http://192.168.1.1 to access your Linksys router's dialog. Hopefully you know the user name and password. The default (factory settings) are:
username:                <<< leave blank
password: admin
If you make it this far..
You will be at the Setup/Basic Setup tab
Internet Connection type you want is PPPoE
User Name: is the current login for your DSL account
Password: is the current password for your DSL account
(Remember that your router [not DSL modem] is controlling your access)
Select: Keep Alive and leave default (Not Connect on Demand)
Click on Save (and follow on screen instructions)
Next navigate to the Status tab
Once there, you should see Login Status. It should be Disconnected.
Click the Connect button.
Click Save if prompted. (and follow on screen instructions)
Now.. close ALL browser windows.
Re-open your web browser and check for internet connectivity. Some computers may require a reboot. My Win XP Pro doesn't.
I pray that helps you guys out!
rjaen

Setting my DSL modem to bridge mode is exactly how I solved the problem. I have DSL from BellSouth.

The question that I have is what if you have a DSL connection but not modem. Just the jack on the wall was provided. This is happening in a friends house. He recently installed DSL and what BellSouth did was to provide a RJ-45 jack on the wall. When my friend connects his laptop straight to the jack it works like a charm but when he connects his wireless router (BEFW11S4)it drops and when it reboots it works for a little while but then it drops again. When you are provided only a jack to connect to, how can you go about doing a "bride mode" setting without a modem..

Thanks
Expert
Expert

Ask the provider. If it is DSL there must be a modem somewhere...
SAMMYJS99

CABLE MODEM - so much better.