Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
astrodoc71
Accepted Solution

No internet connection possible through WRT54G2 v1.5

Must be something simple I'm not doing because my old D-link router works perfectly fine. Windows XP, LAN cable connection. I am able to actually connect to the wireless network with the linksys, configure the router no problem; the computer is clearly seeing the packets come in but I can't connect. I tried powering down, recycling the modem, all that and still no connection. I even thought the router was bad after talking to 'geek squad' over at Best Buy so I got another router, same exact model and it's doing the same thing. All the router lights are on. I see no evidence of any problems and as I said, there is no problem using my old router. I was just trying to upgrade to the linksys. No idea.

Thanks

oook

Re: No internet connection possible through WRT54G2 v1.5

Who is your ISP...?

Are you able to go online from the hardwired computer...?

Readjust the wireless settings of the router and check...Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

Click on the Wireless tab..Wireless Network mode should be mixed...Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box.Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings.. Also check the security key under Wireless Security tab.

astrodoc71

ISP is Comcast high speed cable. I powered down the modem as per their instructions, then powered up, then set the TCP/IP to obtain IP address and DNS automatically as per their instructions. I am STILL only able to connect to the internet HARDWIRED through my old D-Link router. It will also work wireless with the D-link. When I connect the ethernet from the PC directly to the modem, bypassing the router, interestingly I still can't get on. The current IP with the D-Link apparently is 192.168.0.1. I cannot obviously open a browser successfully unless I am on the D-link.
astrodoc71

Solution was this: while I was able to access the internet using my old D-link router, I discovered that I could NOT connect to internet with the ethernet cable DIRECTLY to the modem without the router. AHA! Problem was in fact on ISP end. They had to reset the modem. Once they did this I was able to manually configure the new linksys using the mac cloning process which is nicely detailed in this article http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3686&p_created=11513...

Expert
Expert

Well, in that case you could have cloned the MAC address of the d-link on your WRT and it should have worked as well. Your ISP only let's you connect with one MAC address at any given time. Resetting the modem is one way to clear that lock. Cloning MAC addresses is one way to sidestep that problem.

Now the modem is locked for the MAC address of your PC and you have cloned the PC's MAC address on your WRT. That's fine, too.
astrodoc71

Thanks! I was thinking of that but when I first tried to connect with the new router, when the browser wouldn't open I thought it just wasn't working. I didn't realize I could access the router by typing in the IP address and THEN when I tried to connect without the router and it didn't work I had ISP reset the modem.
r77w8c39

Thanks this thread is useful.