bkight2
Accepted Solution

No wireless internet connection via Laptop

Unable to connect to internet via laptop + desktop to wireless Linksys router. Model=WRT300N.

Connection worked fine on my laptop before, however, stopped working approx 3 days ago.

In attempt to resolve connection issue, I de-install linksys software from my desktop, now I cannot execute setup

due to the fact that I cannot connect to the internet.

Any help woul be appreciated.

Cheers!

BK

forsaken

Re: No wireless internet connection via Laptop

When you Hardwired you computer to the Router are you able to going online? If yes, then i think you need to change the wireless settings on your router and then try to connect to your wireless network. Follow the settings below.

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab

- Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbors network...

- Set the Radio Band to Standard-20MHz and change the Standard channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...

Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone and remember the key.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 50,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

bkight2

THANKS a bunch!!

Suggested setup worked

Barry 

jorgegutierrezguerra

[ Edited ]

thanks a million

It worked.

Jorge

mmerkel

I have a wrt54g wireless router which has worked fine for over 2 years.

Recently my work laptop (XP ) has not been able to connect to my home wireless network error message reads a constant  AQUIRING NETWORK ADDRESS, I have tried changing settings in multiple areas to no avail.

Last night I  lost internet connectivity to 1 of the desktops on the home wireless router (VISTA ) error message reads NETWORK SECURITY KEY does not match network security settings.I have tried to change the settings to match each other but the desktop does not accept the new settings.

Help is greatly appreciated.

troia

mmerkel wrote:

I have tried changing settings in multiple areas to no avail.

what settings have you changed?

do you still have a computer that can connect to the router, wireless or wired(preferred) so you can check if the security settings in your router have changed?

offthewallart

Hi, .... new member!

I picked up this thread from a search and it is exactly what is happening to me.

My main desktop is hard-wired to the wrt54g wireless router. My wifes laptop connects through wireless connection.  This set up has worked perfectly for the past year but in the last week can't get a connection through the wireless!

I followed the instructions from a previous post, resetting the values as recommended here:

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 50,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...

This method seemed to work at the time.

Today I came back to sign on and everything has disappeared again!

If I plug in an ethernet cable between router and laptop the connection is great.

When I try to connect through wireless I am told that signal strength to network is high, but cannot connect!

I am sitting here with the laptop next to the router and still cannot get a connection.

I have double checked and reset all of the crucial settings, such as network keys and passwords but to no avail.

Any solutions, ..... please !!!!

James

dseltzer

I am having SAME problem...looking for any assistance.

thanks

D

Clarence48

I have been having intermittent problems of the same type;  difficulty in maintaining wireless connection to my router via my Dell laptop.  Problem seems to have become more frequently in past month or two.  Have reset everything and connected laptop directly to router, sitting practically next to each other to reconnect, which is usually successful.  Have also reset both (modem by unplugging it for ten seconds) and the router using the reset button.  In each case I am able to eventually regain the connection, but only for awhile.  Not long after disconnection the laptop from the router, it works for awhile and then start having problems with the connection once again.  I am getting very disgusted with the wireless router, and am about ready to pack it up and return it to the store, and maybe try a different brand. 

aaron281

I have a wireless router Linksys WRT54GH, I added a password for the wireless connection. On the first couple of days, the router worked with our laptops (using the password). On the third day, the cant connect to the network. They cant even find the network.

So i completely reset the router and changed the password and all than. It worked! But only for a couple of minutes, then our laptops got disconnected and cant find the network again! I removed the network password and the laptops can again connect to the network but only for a few minutes then poof! gone again!

Is something wrong with my router? Coz my computer is the only one connected via LAN port, yet it still has a connection. The laptop/cellphones cant find the connection