Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ColdnFrosty

Re: Official E4200v2 Firmware v2.0.36 (Build 126507) Feedback Thread

I am doing what Microsoft says to do for an XBox 360 - port forwarding for ports 53, 80, 88, 3074, and 1863.

shaith

While it's true the ports have to be open for Xbox to function properly, this typically only impacts you if your upstream provider is blocking traffic on those ports (university, etc).  Most home internet providers aren't touching this traffic.

Have you tried simply plugging in your Xbox behind the router and running it?  Have you tried with UPNP enabled?

I've run xbox 360's behind probably a dozen different NAT routers without ever doing any custom configuring and never had any issues.  Try removing your port forwards, reboot the router, start your Xbox, and then go into the settings menu and test your network connection.  If it complains that your NAT is too restrictive, check to see if UPNP is on - that will usually solve a lot of problems.

You can also configure your xbox to be in the router DMZ - configure this via MAC address and you won't have to worry about DHCP address assignment.

Some game features for platform gaming have a notorious dislike of SPI, you can try temporarily disabling that if nothing else works, but I'm fairly certain that once you've got UPNP on and your xbox up and going you should be just fine.  Barring that, throw it in the DMZ and have fun. 

Port 53 forwarding to a device with no resolver, however, is not going to work - and they aren't recommending you forward that port, only that you open that port (without it, the Xbox can't resolve the IP's of the Xbox Live network servers and you don't get anywhere).

Uncleiven

Sorry quick Q but can I tell if my E4200 is v1 or v2?

shaith

The model number will say "v2" after it.  Look on your box.

Look at the serial number - if it starts with 01C1060 you're on a v2.

Look at your firmware version on the router - if it's 2.0.36, you're on a v2.  The V1 routers are still on 1.x firmware (as of today anyway).

HTH

VicD

Interesting...The replacement I received from Cisco does not have the V2 after the model number, but the Serial Number and firmware both indicate it is a V2 router...Anyway to be sure?

Puppa

It's a v2, definitely.
neilputt

[ Edited ]
  • "If you're forwarding port 53, and the target doesn't have a resolver running, then you're breaking resolution by setting a port forward up incorrectly.  That isn't a bug in the firmware."

Here's the deal. If forwarding port 53 works for Xboxs on other routers, and Microsoft advises its users to forward port 53, then I'd like to see support for this in the E4200V2.

We can argue over who's breaking what resolution all day - we could talk about who should be respecting standards (MS vs Cisco), how market share factors into standards (More people have Xboxs than E4200V2s), etc. But at the end of the day, the router doesn't deliver where others do, and a lot of people will run into this issue. So I'd like to see this issue addressed. And I bet that Cisco will address the issue, with time. We just need to bump it up.

Puppa

UPnP is the official way to support Xbox. Forwarding is second tier, only if you're on a router that doesn't support UPnP. Without UPnP, using port forwarding, only one Xbox can work. I have two connected behind my e4200v2. Both work, open NAT. No fiddling with port forwarding required.
shaith

I'm betting Cisco does not "fix" the issue because it isn't broken in the first place.

The issue here is too many people interpreting what Xbox 360/Xbox LIVE need and doing so incorrectly.

Xbox has to be able to communicate on the following ports (IE: the ports must be OPEN)

53(Both) - used so your Xbox can find the addresses of the servers - this is an OUTBOUND channel

80 (TCP) - used so your Xbox can render the pages you're seeing - this is also an OUTBOUND channel

88 (UDP) - control channel for Xbox, this is an INBOUND channel

3074 (both) - session channel for Xbox, this is an INBOUND channel

1863 (both) - video kinect channel, this is an INBOUND channel

Now, microsoft doesn't advise its users to forward port 53.  They advise ports 88 and 3074 using port triggering if UPNP isn't available.  UPnP is available on this router.

Their port triggering information is listed as method 1 in the "open network ports" section on the Xbox support website.
It reads:
Method 1: Port triggering

When you set up port triggering on your router, you need to trigger the following ports:

• Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 88 (UDP)

Typically, you need to set the following for each port that needs triggering:

‘Application name:’ Xbox LIVE ‘trigger port’ to UDP 88 and ‘forwarded port’ to UDP 88

Refer to your router documentation for information on how to set up port triggering.

If you choose instead to go to method 2, opening ports, it says open, not forward.  Again, the problem is with interpretation.  Nothing from external to you needs to connect to a resolver inside your network.  If you forward port 53 to a device, that's exactly what you're doing - setting all resolution to that target.  Xbox isn't a resolver.  It relies on something external to act as one.

If you insist on forwarding ports manually for Xbox, eliminate ports 53 and 80.  Stick to 88, 3074, and you should be good to go unless you're using video kinect, in which case the 1863 port needs to be part of your setup.

Incidentally, if you read the Cisco documentation on how to set up an Xbox connection behind a Cisco Linksys router, you'll note they indicate ports 88 and 3074.  Refer to here:

Xbox on a Linksys router

But if you're really following the docs on an Xbox, you're not trying to forward ports anyway.  You're turning on UPnP, hooking up the Xbox, and you're off to play whatever floats your boat.

neilputt

Yeah.... maybe this is all over my head, but one could easily read this page...

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/network-ports-used-xbox-live

...and assume that Microsoft is telling you to forward port 53. First it says that "Opening a port" is the same as "port forwarding", then it advises you to open port 53. I don't recall 100%, but I think I've done this on my old router, and I don't think that it broke everything.

I don't want to get into a technical discussion. The point is that a lot of people will run into this, other routers handle it better, and Cisco would do well by its customers to address it.

---------------------------------------------------- 

If you have a firewall or network hardware, such as a router, you might need to make a configuration change in order for your Xbox 360 console to communicate with Xbox LIVE. This configuration change is sometimes called “opening ports” or "port forwarding."

Xbox LIVE requires the following ports to be open:

• Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)