dmt_777

One laptop will not connect to wireless router

Just installed linksys wrt320n.  Desktop and one laptop (wireless) connect.  Both windows 7.  A second laptop (Vista) errors out with message "the selected data rate is not correct".  This laptop sees the router (since I see the router name and it validates the passphrase) but I cannot ping the router.  I saw two messages on this site suggesting to enable WMM and use security WPA2.  I have verified that both of these are so set.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks (note: this laptop worked with previous router)

earthmyrll120288

Re: One laptop will not connect to wireless router

You mentioned you can see the router name and it validates the passphrase, is it connected? If so what is the IP of the computer for the Wireless Connection? Is your previous network name same as the network name your using for this router? If yes then it would help to remove wireless profiles on the computer or you can use a different Network Name (SSID). When you tried connecting to the network, were you ask for the security key?

dmt_777

When I go to the network and sharing screen, It states networks are available.  This is where I see listed the new router which has a different SSID than the old router.  When I select this network and then click to connect, I get the screen to enter the pass phrase.  If it is wrong, it tells me.  This is why I think it is seeing the router.  If I enter the pass phrase correctly, then I get the error.  The IP address of the router is the standard 192.168.1.1.  When I run the IPCONFIG command on the laptop, it shows no IP address for the laptop.  If I ping the router, it fails.

earthmyrll120288

dmt_777 wrote:

When I go to the network and sharing screen, It states networks are available.  This is where I see listed the new router which has a different SSID than the old router.  When I select this network and then click to connect, I get the screen to enter the pass phrase.  If it is wrong, it tells me.  This is why I think it is seeing the router.  If I enter the pass phrase correctly, then I get the error.  The IP address of the router is the standard 192.168.1.1.  When I run the IPCONFIG command on the laptop, it shows no IP address for the laptop.  If I ping the router, it fails.

I see. Your computer is not connected to the network yet since it is not getting an IP. Have you tried restarting the computer? What is the brand and model of the wireless adapter installed on the laptop?

dmt_777

I have rebooted the laptop (and router and modem).  The wireless network card is an Atheros AR5007EG.  The system says this card is working properly.

earthmyrll120288

Thanks for the info. If you already verified that the password is correct then it would help if you update the adapter's driver. You can contact Atheros for support on updating the adapter or go this link  http://www.atheros.cz/ to download latest drivers.

Wendel48

Give the laptop a static IP address (IPv4) just before the DHCP range you have set. I am assuming the router is in a default configuraton with DHCP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. These changes will be available in the laptop's wireless adapter Properties. Make sure your subnet mask matches the other computer's subnets (usually 255.255.255.0) Use 192.168.1.1 for the DNS server. If it's listed, make sure IPv6 is not checked. Restart the laptop and make sure the static IP changes stuck. See if you can connect.

Expert
sabretooth

For a test, disable all security on the router and see if you can connect with no security at all.

Expert
jlbjlb

I would make sure the vista atheros driver is up to date as was previously mentioned in this thread. If it reports that it was working ok wouldn't necessarily have any bearing on needing to update the atheros driver.
dmt_777

I have disabled security, rebooted router and laptop - same problem.  I gave the laptop a static ip address - same problem.  I have tried to update the driver but have been unsuccessful since this laptop can not access the internet.  I've tried to download the driver onto a flash drive and then port it to the laptop but so far that has not worked.  I'm still working on that approach.  If anyone can help on how to do this I would appreciate it.