Re: One laptop will not connect to wireless router

I already had CCleaner on that laptop, so ran the registry cleaner.  I downloaded the fixit programs from the two links you provided, ported them to the bad laptop and ran them there.  They appeared to run OK, but the problem still persists.  I did rebbot both the PC and router.  I went to the Microsoft fixit page, but got the message that this Beta test was closed for WIndows 7 users.  My bad laptop is running Vista, but my two good boys are running Windows 7.  I guess it is possible that the two fixit downloads were not suitable since I had to download on a Windows 7 system and then port to the Vista guy.  I could try this again at some other hot spot where my Vista machine can get a connection.

Expert

I would say you have an incompatible wireless adapter with that router.   I would suggest buying an AE1000 USB adapter from eBay for $14 and give that a shot before 'throwing the PC out' Smiley Wink 

I have an Intel 5100 a/g/n card in my laptop that will not connect to anything over 54 Mbps.  Installed the AE1000 and blamo, had instant 300Mbps connection and runs perfect.  All for only $14.

dmt_777 wrote:

I already had CCleaner on that laptop, so ran the registry cleaner.  I downloaded the fixit programs from the two links you provided, ported them to the bad laptop and ran them there.  They appeared to run OK, but the problem still persists.  I did rebbot both the PC and router.  I went to the Microsoft fixit page, but got the message that this Beta test was closed for WIndows 7 users.  My bad laptop is running Vista, but my two good boys are running Windows 7.  I guess it is possible that the two fixit downloads were not suitable since I had to download on a Windows 7 system and then port to the Vista guy.  I could try this again at some other hot spot where my Vista machine can get a connection.

Hi there,

I would suggest you try changing the wireless security on the router to wpa personal/ tkip (Encryption), you can use the same wireless password then save the settings. Remove all the wireless networks; start > control panel > network and sharing center > manage wireless networks (found on the upper left hand side of network and sharing) > remove the old network on the list > ok then reconnect to your network under connect to network.

Hope this helps. Please update us.

I just got around to trying some of these last suggestions.  Security was WPA personal with tkip.  I changed the speed from auto to 20 MHZ and changed the channel to 6.  I removed al the old networks.  I rebooted the pc and router.  Still I get the same message, "wireless association failed....".   This is a Vista OS. 

Expert

Try renaming the ssid on your router to temp123. And then try to connect to temp123.
Expert

Can you also please check what is the adapter the laptop has? Please check thru the device manager what type of adapter you have or you can also check thru wireless properties.

I renamed the SSID to temp123 as suggested.  It did show up on the network screen as temp123 but when attempting to connect I got the same error.  The adapter is an Atheros AR5007EG

This adapter should work since you already updated the drivers or it could be that the update was not done properly. I believe the easier way to deal with this issue is getting a new adapter. Smiley Happy