Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
garypen

Optimum Settings for Video Streaming (Netflix, Sling, etc) with E1500?

I recently started using an E1500, which, for the most part, has worked great. However, my Roku devices no longer connect at maximum speed/quality, according to the connection gauge. I no longer get the HD indication. The highest I get is 4 dots. With my Panasonic Netflix software, where there is no specific HD indicator, just a horizontal bar, it is always one notch shy of max. With previous routers (Dlink, Actiontec, 2Wire) I had no problem connecting at the maximum, even with "G" connections.

So, I was wondering if there were settings within the E1500 that would optimize video data transport. I do have WMM enabled. I also added the Roku boxes to QOS. But, I am still getting less-than-maximum connections with Roku and Panasonic Netflix apps.

Wizzard

Re: Optimum Settings for Video Streaming (Netflix, Sling, etc) with E1500?

Open the set up page of the router by typing the IP address of 192.168.1.1 or open Cisco connection go to router settings

Then go to advanced settings and  then click copy password and hit OK ..once you on the router page

Go to wireless and click manual after that create network name (SSID) Then set the wireless security as WPA2 personal

Which would give you stabilize connectivity then upgrade the latest firmware on  the router and reduced the MTU to 1462..

Unplug the power from  the modem and  the router

Wait for 1 minute and plug them back wait for 1 minute and then check the speed .

garypen

Thanks. I've already done everything you mention, except MTU. I will try that next, and report back.

garypen

[ Edited ]

Changing from auto to manual 1462 seemed to help. However, I got a similar improvement by changing the manual setting to to the max 1500. (Actually, 1500 was better than 1462.) I'm not sure what the router does differently when set to Auto vs Manual 1500. But, I get better Netflix performance with Manual 1500 vs Auto or Manual 1462.

I'm thinking that Auto might add a process wherein the router is checking for lost packets or something, and that extra process might have caused the issue? In any case, thanks for leading me in the right direction!

HiSpeed

Use TCPOptimizer to define the MTU max:

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

garypen

Thanks HiSpeed. I don't see any instructions on how to use it, though. Plus, it looks kinda like a tool for changing Windows reg settings on a PC vs something that will tell me optimum settings for a router.

great_white

You can also try changing the MTU size to 1365. After changing the MTU size, power cycle the router and then observe the connection.

garypen

Thanks. But, as I may have mentioned earlier, the problem appears to have been solved by changing the MTU from "auto" to "manual 1500".

I know that seems strange. But, there it is.