Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
VezRoth

Orange Light and no connection

I've had a WRT54G for about 3 or four years now and have had little to no problems with it. But today, for some reason it's wireless transmission just suddenly died on me. An orange light has come on the front of the router underneath the Cisco Systems logo to the left of the power LED. Is this significant, or does this mean completely nothing? What has gone wrong with my router? Halp?
Hammer842

Re: Orange Light and no connection

It sounds like the router may have lost its configuration settings. The orange light indicates that you are not using SecureEasySetup; if it's white, it indicates that you are using it. The light can be turned off by disabling the feature in the setup options (Wireless > Advanced Wireless Settings > Secure Easy Setup).

The fact that you've lost wireless connectivity indicates, as I stated, that your settings have probably been lost. I'm very left-brained and made a text file with all of the initial settings and those that I changed. That way, I can easily reapply my settings after a firmware upgrade. Anyway, you need to logon to the router and check the wireless network settings to see what has been changed. This is assuming that the router is not broken.

There are very few settings that need to be changed.

I'll mention ONLY the ones to enable wireless networking.

Login to the router at http://192.168.1.1/. Default user name is admin and the password is either admin or nothing (empty).

Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings
  SSID (enter the SSID, the name of your wireless network)

Wireless > Wireless Security
  Security Mode: WPA2 Personal, or WPA Personal (less secure), or WEP (worst)
  WPA Algorithm: TKIP+AES (for WPA2/WPA)
  WPA Shared Key: enter your network password (best to have one)
  Group Key Renewal: 3600

That's all you need to get wireless to work. If you think you may have parameter corruption, you may want to reset the settings to factory defaults (Adminstration > Factory Defaults) before applying the settings I've given you.
richard804

You are looking at the wrong lights
Your wireless is operating if the light located under wireless G is on or flashing.  If it not lit you have to turn on your wireless by going into your router and enable your wireless.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
great_white

Follow the steps ...
1. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
2. Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for
another 30 Seconds.
3. Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button
for 30 Seconds.
4. Release the reset button.
Disable all the firewall on the computer ... Check the Ip ... if getting Ip - 192.168.1.X .... try to ping the Ip .... If getting replies ... try going online If not gettting Ip -- assign static Ip ... repeat the step ... Still no luck ..possible the router is gone bad ....