MisterParadox

PS3 - Changing NAT Type

Hi all,

I have a PS3 and it's not allowing me to connect to certain people or even use the communication feature on it. So currently I have Frontier internet with a Gigaset modem, a WRT160Nv3 Linksys router. Currently my NAT type is 3 and I hope to change it to 1 if possible, 2 would be okay as well.

Thanks for your time.

forsaken

Re: PS3 - Changing NAT Type

Login to the setup page of your Router and click on the Status tab and check whats the "Internet IP Address".

You can follow this link to open PS3 ports on your Router.

MisterParadox

Well here is my Internet IP Address: 192.168.254.1

I'm not sure what to do with that. 

Also after looking at the site you gave me, I'm still confused at what to do. This is an e-mail that I got from Sony.

------

Thank you for contacting Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) about changing your NAT type. Below are the TCP and UDP (firewall) port numbers you will need to connect online with PlayStation® products.

IMPORTANT:

Make sure to enable these TCP/UDP ports in BOTH directions and are entered into the TCP and UDP port fields in your router / modem. Contact your Internet Service Provider or router manufacturer for proper instructions on how to input port information for your network. 
SCEA Game Servers

All games published by SCEA (first-party) may use the following ports for communication with SCEA (first-party) game servers:

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080 
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070 

PlayStation®Network
TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223 
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658 

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Regards,
Jason F.

---------

And I don't know what to do with those ports or where to enter them.

Expert
Expert

You have chained two routers. The WRT is connected to another router. You won't get port forwarding working reliably through a set up like that anyway.

Either bridge the first router (probably your modem) and use only the WRT for the internet connection or set up the WRT as simple access point and ethernet switch connected to your first router.
MisterParadox

How would I bridge the first router? I have turned off the router function on my modem. It is a Siemens Gigaset where the modem and the router are built in together. 

Expert
Expert

I don't know the Gigaset and you don't post the model. Check the user guide. Turning off the "router function" may be enough. Maybe not. After you have bridged the modem/router you will probably have to set up PPPoE on the WRT to connect to the internet (if you use DSL).
MisterParadox

How exactly do I bridge the router and the modem? And what do I do with the PPPoE? Sorry, I'm really not that knowledgeable in terms of networking. 

Carrot

I think you need to contact the Internet service provider to convert the modem in to bridge mode ( PPPoE mode ).

Once you convert the modem into bridge mode, connect the modem to the Internet port on the router.

Open the setup page of the router. Change the Internet connection type to PPPoE and enter the user name and password for the PPPoE connection. Save the settings.

Go to Status tab and check the Internet IP address on the status page.

ewiz06

Carrot's advice is very accurate.  A simple call to your ISP service provider should allow them to show you how to put your modem into full bridge mode.  Make sure that when they are helping you that you put the modem in just BRIDGE mode and NOT Routed Bridge mode.  Also be sure to ask the to walk you through how to totally turn off the wireless features of your modem as well.

After you've got your modem in full BRIDGE mode (and before you reconnect your Linksys router), go into your computer, click on start button and type in   cmd.   Click on that program, which will take you to the DOS/computer settings (black) page.  At the prompt type in:     ipconfig/ release

This will totally clear your internet address.  Then simply follow the normal instructions to connect your Linksys router.  Be sure to connect it via PPPoE since it is DSL (you will need your service provider's username and password).

If you are hooking your PS3 up wirelessly make sure that UPnP is enabled on both the PS3 and the Linksys router.  Using the Universal Plug N Play (UPnP) feature will allow the router to automatically open up the correct ports to connect your PS3 (or 360 if you have it) and to get an OPEN NAT type.  You will not need to forward any ports whatsoever if you use UPnP.