blurrz

PS3 error: "An Ethernet cable is not connected" with E2000

Problem: My PS3 displays An Ethernet cable is not connected almost immediately after logging in. I am connected through a Linksys E2000 router.  If I reset the cable modem, it will work for 10-15 minutes until it errors out again.  If I plug the PS3 directly into the cable modem, it works fine. I'm really confused.

1. I do not believe it is the router, as my computer is also connected to the router, and works fine. My Touchpad is connected wirelessly and also works fine.

2. I do not believe it is the PS3, because it works fine if I plug it directly into the cable modem. I tried switching to wireless and it finds a lot of other signals (including mine), but I have the same problem if I choose wireless.

I first had this problem with a launch PS3 and a Netgear router after almost three years of no problems. This was back in November 2010.  I replaced it with a Linksys E2000 router in January 2011, and a slim PS3 in late September 2011.

I had no problems from January until last weekend.  I have tried to do the DMZ trick, but no luck. I have also tried to set the primary and secondary DNS to 4.2.2.1.

Does anyone have any insight? If I need to buy a new router, I will, but I don't understand because it works for my computer and Touchpad.  Is it something crazy like when November comes, my internet settings get corrupted?

Ricewind

Re: PS3 error: "An Ethernet cable is not connected" with E2000

Try these troubleshooting steps:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] On that same setup page reduce the MTU value to 1400 from Auto

4] Then click on Administration tab and disable UpnP..

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

blurrz

Neither the MTU change nor the UpnP change had a positive affect.  I think, somehow, my router is the problem.  Or my ISP.

Ricewind

Well if you can try to replace the Ethernet cable with the new one.  

Try these troubleshooting steps:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] On the Security tab disable SPI Firewall Protection, uncheck Filter Anonymous Internet Requests...

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

blurrz

Neither suggestion worked.  My ISP came by to check some stuff, but found nothing. My connection is good. I tried a new router, but am having the same problem.

I already tried to reset the PS3 to default settings, but that didn't do anything. Should I try to reformat the PS3?

bohochic323

have you checked the cables connected to your router?  is the firmware of your router updated?

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
blurrz

Yes, the cables are fine and the firmware is updated.

I tried my PS3 at another location, and it works fine. So, that narrows it to the router or my ISP. I'll try a brand new router before I go back to my ISP.

Any suggestions on a router? I currently have a Linksys E2000.

bohochic323

Hmmmmmm... is it like your NAT going strict instead of open that's why you keep on getting kicked out of the game or disconnecting from the game server?  

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
hiptechboy

Try using the DHCP reservation feature to give your PS3 a "static " ip outside of the DHCP server range. So something above the range called "IP Address Range". 192.168.1.150 should be good, but you can check to confirm that this address isn't in that range. 

Make sure your PS3 is set to obtain the network information automatically, NOT through a custom setting. Also, make sure your PS3 is turned off completely before doing this. 

Could you also give us a screenshot of the "signals" tab when you go to 192.168.100.1?

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.