mcf73

PS3 network connection problems

[ Edited ]
I have been trying to connect my PS3 with the WRT54gs v.6, for some reason I just cant get it to work.  Anyone have any ideas?

Message Edited by mcf73 on 12-11-200605:44 AM

Corleone

Re: PS3 network connection problems

Hi ....first and foremost ensure that u are using the latest firmware for the wrt54gs...1.50.9 ......next , you will need to forward the ports used by PS3....
TCP - 10070-10080
UDP - 6000-6999 ...
before u forward the ports , u will need to assign a static IP address to the PS3...and then forward the ports for the Static IP assigned to the PS3.
Let me know if u need any more information.
abauer23

I have the same setup, and I didn't have to do what the other person said.  Did you get yours to work?
Dustin

[ Edited ]
Corleone is giving you instructions to play specific games.  Also, don't just randomly forward ports for your PS3 based on his post.  Different games will have different port requirements but you may not have to forward any, that part is trial and error based on Router and network setup.  I will give you a basic step by step here

The PS3 needs to be connected to your local network.  If you are using the 60 GB Model, you may connect wirelessly. (don't worry about a firmware upgrade unless your router is not functioning correctly).  The 20 GB Model is wired LAN Only.

It is not required that you manually assign an IP Address to the PS3, and frankly is a bit of a pain to do so with the controller based input.  When going through the Network Setup, set UPNP to ENABLED.  UPNP (which stands for Universal Plug and Play) acts as a NAT Networking Protocol and will help you play games without the need to forward ports.  You will also need to log in to the Administrative screen of your router (try http://192.168.1.1) and make sure UPnP is enabled for the router.  If not, Enable it.

Now, if you are using the Wireless functionality of the 60 GB, chances are you also have some form of protection on your Wireless Network, and if not, you should.  If you are using WEP Encryption, you will have to choose WEP from the network setup of the PS3 and enter your encryption key.  If you are using MAC Filtering, you will have to look at the Network Information screen to get the MAC Address of your PS3 and add it to your Allowed MAC Address List in your Router.  Once this is accomplished, ensure that your PS3 can see the router by selecting the SCAN Option to find the network rather than entering manually.  Allow the PS3 to automatically obtain an IP Address.

In my case, I am using the Alchemy Firmware to provide PPTP VPN Access to my router, but the base functionality is the same.  If you need to manually assign an IP and forward Ports I can help you with that as well, as I have also done this, however, if you are using the Wireless configuration, you will still need to enter your WEP Encryption Key or add the MAC Address in order to connect.

On a side note, I have noticed that the PS3 network functionality has slow problems.  Everything that I download via the Internet Connection gets to around 25% to 29% then slows tremendously for the remainder of the download.  Once you are connected to the internet, the PS3 will require you to download and install an update (currently ver. 1.3) in order to use Network Functionality.  This took approximatlely an hour for my PS3 to download on an 8 Megabit Road Runner connection.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

Thanks,

Dustin

(Mod note: Removed email address. Use PM system instead. Thanks!)
Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 01-05-2009 01:13 PM
Dustin

I've recently been receiving a slew of requests for help via email.  Just wanted to let everyone know that I will soon be putting up an instructional page on my website with screenshots to help walk everyone through the setup.  I will try to also include PS3 Screenshots via my Tuner card.  I will post the link here when I have it available.

Thanks,

Dustin
Dustin

PS3 & the WEP / WPA Encryption

[ Edited ]
More discoveries in the land of PS3 networking problems.  It appears that the Sony devices are having problems negotiating security with wireless routers when WEP or WPA encryption are enabled.  I am pasting below a reply that I made to another user with some good suggestions on giving your network a fair amount of security using MAC Filtering only, a few of the comments are in reply to comments from that user's email so they may not make sense, but read on as the bulk of the information should help get you on your way to a good connection.  Furthermore...I was getting fed up with the uber slow Wireless X-Fer speed with my PS3 (which could still be related to the high number of devices I have connecting to my router and not the PS3 itself) so I hardwired to my router and it speed up dramatically.

I have run into problems with the setup I suggested in the post as well.  At this point, there is no reason to buy another router, this is definitely a Sony problem.  In reference to securing your connection, you are using the correct methods, however, it appears that the Sony devices have trouble handshaking during the key exchange (as you have suggested).  I have seen users having the same problem with the WEP Encryption as with the WPA so at this point, the only way to get the PS3 to connect securely is to lower the security and use MAC Filtering only (which is what I currently did on my system).  If security is an issue there is a good way to help stop people from jumping on your network in the unlikely event that they actually do spoof a MAC Address.  Disable the DHCP on your router and use Static IP Addresses for all connected devices.  Also, use random addresses throughout the range so they are not easily guessable.  By Default, the LinkSys routers are going to be 192.168.1.1 and use a DHCP Range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.* (the second depending on how large the range is, can be up to .254).

The first step is to change the IP Address of your router.  I have set my router to 192.168.1.21.  Then disable DHCP.  To further secure this, you can use a different IP Range for your router.  I would suggest something like 192.168.5.* or 192.168.150.* just somehting that's not 192.168.1.*

A Good IP For your router would be 192.168.10.10.  This is something that would be fairly simple for you to remember, but would be difficult for a would be intruder to guess.  If DHCP is disabled, users may be able to connect to your router, but they will not be able to obtain an IP Address and therefore would not be able to reveal the address you have assigned to the router.  Then give the devices in your network easily rememberable IP Addresses...such as:
PC:  192.168.10.20
PSP:  192.168.10.30
PS3:  192.168.10.40

This coupled with MAC Filtering will give you a good amount of security and still let you play.  The static IP's are also important in that, to play some titles you will need to forward specific ports or port ranges to one of your devices (I.E. - the Madden 07 ports to the PS3).

Hope this information helps!

Thanks,

Dustin Horne

Message Edited by Dustin on 01-02-200707:31 AM

Nafty

Re: PS3 & the WEP / WPA Encryption

The Problem i seem to have with my linksys router is the PS3 aquiring its IP address automatically. It times out every time it attempts to test the connection and no connection is established. Where can i find the IP address to enter it manually, or how can i change it for the PS3 to aquire it automatically? Any help would be great.
Dustin

Go back to the Network Settings for your PS3.  Choose Wireless connection and Choose Manual (Custom) instead of Automatic setup.  From there you will be able to enter your IP Address manually.  You will have to enter the IP Address you want to use for your PS3 as well as the Subnet Mask (in most cases should be 255.255.255.0), the IP Address of the router (default is 192.168.1.1) and the IP Address of your DNS Servers (secondary can be left blank, primary should be the IP Address of your router, also default to 192.168.1.1).

If you are having connection timeouts, it may still be due to the WEP or WPA Failing to negotiate so you may still have to go with MAC Filtering only.  Also, I have seen people having trouble with Wireless B Routers, even though they are supposed to be support.  The signal strength may be good, but the PS3's have trouble maintaining connections.  I am using a Wireless G (WRT54G) and haven't had any trouble with connection timeouts.  I did have one instance where I was unable to log in to the Playstation Network and restarted the playstation to correct the problem, but other than that everything has been pretty smooth.  I am also using the 3rd Party Alchemy Firmware (which is unfortunately no longer free) but all the basic functionality is the same so it should work correctly with the default firmware.
Nafty

[ Edited ]
The Router I am using is the WRT54G and i'm not sure if it is te source of the Time Out Problem. What is this MAC filtering? The only options I have are WEP and WLAN, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but i doubt it. How do I change it to MAC and what would i need to do to set it up? Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: I entered the IP address as the default and the subnet mask as the 255.255.255.0. What does teh Default router need to be set to? I also set the Primary DNS as the router IP. After Entering all this, when i test the connection I get a message saying that I obtained the IP address and the Internet Connection failed (this cant be the case because I have connection) citing that  "An error occured while resolving the name with the serer. (80710102)"

Any other Words of Wisdom?

Message Edited by Nafty on 01-02-200712:12 PM

Message Edited by Nafty on 01-02-200712:12 PM

Dustin

I have put together a couple of quick screenshots....still working on a full blown tutorial, but here is what I have so far.  This shows you the MAC Filtering: