nickblix

Parental Control options with routers

Hi - I'm curious about which routers I can use with parental controls. From what I understand Linksys uses a web-based company (Cerberus?). Do I need a particular type of router or will any work? I need an 8-port and wireless would be good but not necessary. Thanks for any info.

nickblix

Re: Parental Control options with routers

most routers should work with parental control :smileyhappy:
peter06

[ Edited ]
Nice general answer, but I suspect it will not be sufficient, because the person asking is probably also curious in how to set this up and if there are routers available that have parental control filters build in. My WRT54G has no such function except for basis access restrictions, but that is hardly the same as parental control, so why should most routers support this?

Message Edited by peter06 on 08-29-2006 02:17 PM

gbuskirk

That seems to have been an attempt at humor.

I'm looking for a router with Parental Controls too. My Zyxel HomeSafe (HS-100W) died. I had my hopes up for the WRT54GS, but apparently the feature was removed, and the content filtering provider no long serves Linksys products.

Presently I'm using software-based content filtering from http://www.k9webprotection.com . Like a Parental Control Router, it checks each website against a stored profile at the service provider. This is free software and a free service - works for me.
Robertthegreat

Only the Linksys WRT54GS and WRT54G have Linksys parental controls to my knowledge.  Apparently, Linksys brought their parental controls into the Linksys house, and Netopia no longer services them.

I hope all you guys are wrong, as Linksys is still supporting my parental controls and is taking my money.  I don't know of any other solution that works nearly as well for a home with multiple computers and numerous possible offenders of Internet propriety.
Expert
Expert

Never forget to scan your neighborhood for open wireless routers. Many people simply buy a wireless router, plug it in and never setup wireless security. If your kids use a wireless connection on their computers or simply can plug in a cheap USB wireless adapter into the computer and an open wireless network is in the proximity, all your efforts to use parental control are simply fruitless. Your kids will simply connect to your neighbor's router and have free unlimited internet.

Where I live I can pick up signals of 5 unconfigured wireless routers with a working internet connection. I would not even bother trying to setup parental control on my router...
Jay_Cummings

[ Edited ]
I was never able to get my WRT54GS working with Parental Control as described in Chapter 6 of the User Guide. Can any body shed some light into this? How does this work? Thanks!

(Edited for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 03-11-2007 04:57 AM

I have been using the K9 Protection for several months on my kids computer.  So it doesn't matter if they connect to another network, it still blocks questionable websites and limits their internet access.
bilbrelb

[ Edited ]
I have been using parental control for over a year and half. The first year was great. It worked great and was only 39 buck year.
The last 6 months it's gotten very slow.

Then they told me router had old firmware even though i has lastest they provide.

Any suggestions?

(Edited for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 03-20-2007 08:22 PM

[ Edited ]
Can somone point me to where this parental control information is listed on the Linsys site?

did their Netopia product go away?

Would like to buy this but can't seem to find it.

Message Edited by   on 07-28-2007 03:29 PM