Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Alan L Jones

Port forwarding

When I try to set a port for forwarding and set the IP address to forward to:

192.168.1.108 (of course, I only type in that last number, 108)

I get an error message that the number must be between 1 and 65535. It is! Why am I getting this error message?

Alan

Expert
jlbjlb

Re: Port forwarding

Uhmmm, what port are you attempting to forward to 192.168.1.108?
Expert
sabretooth

All you need to know...

http://portforward.com/

opheliaimmortal23

Alan L Jones wrote:

When I try to set a port for forwarding and set the IP address to forward to:

192.168.1.108 (of course, I only type in that last number, 108)

I get an error message that the number must be between 1 and 65535. It is! Why am I getting this error message?

Alan

Yes, what is the port number are you trying to open on your router? What is your router model by the way? Is this port forwarding for gaming?

Alan L Jones

I am the author of a server application. My application listens for a TCP connection on port 3097 (but it could be any port). The client is on the other side of the world. I provide him with my WAN IP. He tries to connect to it with port 3097. I want to forward this to my application.

But I have gotten it working. I was going to the wrong screen: Single port forwarding. By going to Port range forwarding I got it working. Still, that doesn't explain the strange error message about the number having to be between 1 and 65535 when the number I entered WAS in that range.

LinkSys wanted to charge me $29.95 to solve the problem (even if it was a Cisco problem) because my device is more than 90 days old. (It's about 120 days old.)

A friend worked through it with me and we got it working.

Expert
jlbjlb

Glad you got it working.  If you were getting a strange error message, then you may need to reset to factory defaults by pressing and holding the reset button for 15 seconds and reconfigure it.  At least that is what I would do to make sure nothing is out of whack.

If your remote client is attempting to access your network, you may need to uncheck the box "block anonymous internet request" on the security tab.

Good luck.