Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
stacykr92
Accepted Solution

Power Outage Linksys E1000 router lights blinking

I am on a surge protector and we lost power last night.  This morning we were stilling experiencing a brown out but now the power is back 100%.  I've walked through the E1000 router reset and not matter what I do, all the lights except the power light blink rapidly and dimly.  Could the router be fried even though it's on a surge protector????  It's less than 6 months old so hopefully still covered by warranty.  Any thoughts as to whether it is fried?  Or just needs some time to reset?

Expert
sabretooth

Re: Power Outage Linksys E1000 router lights blinking

Well go ahead and press the reset button and find out!  Hold it for 30 seconds and release wit 10 seconds and power cycle again.

hd@lucasvalley.net

I have an E-1000 that does this in certain homes, but always works fine on my test bench.

My theory was that line voltage differed, but I tried it on the test bench from 90 to 135 vac and the router works fine on the bench.

I've tried the factory reset in homes where it does the blinking, but the reset button does nothing no matter how long it is held down. When in the all-blinking mode, of course, the DHCP server does not work and it is not possible to get into the unit fromo one of the LAN ports.

It seems to be just this one router -- I've installed about a dozen other E-1000's without this problem. It is a complete mystery. Something in the water? Who knows?

oddrums

Here's what worked for me with power cycling and the reset button fail:

1. Unplug ALL the cords from the router, including power.

2. With your computer on and running, plug an ethernet cord from the router #1 output to your computer's ethernet input.

3. Power up the router by plugging in the power cord. You should immediately notice the flashing stops and the router starts booting up normally.

Replace the ethernet cord to connect the modem to the router, and let the boot-up finish. That's what worked for me. There's a slim chance it was just coincidental, but I doubt it and I hope it works for you.

nxactly

oddrums wrote:

Here's what worked for me with power cycling and the reset button fail:

2. With your computer on and running, plug an ethernet cord from the router #1 output to your computer's ethernet input.

3. Power up the router by plugging in the power cord. You should immediately notice the flashing stops and the router starts booting up normally.

Replace the ethernet cord to connect the modem to the router, and let the boot-up finish. That's what worked for me. There's a slim chance it was just coincidental, but I doubt it and I hope it works for you.

Brilliant! I have had this problem over and over again with my E1000. Previously, the only thing I could do was try unplugging it and plugging it in again and, eventually, it would come back online. The problem is that the number of times it would take to come back online seemed to be growing exponentially, so I dreaded anytime I had to unplug it to solve a network problem with my Ooma or other devices. This procedure worked immediately. I'm saving this in Evernote. :smileyhappy:

garyncarol

Thank you very much.  This worked immediately for me.  I'd already spent 2 days attempting to connect my computer to the internet via this router but was unsuccessful even though I could always connect directly through my Surfbuard 5100 modem.  I was ready to return my router to the seller before I attempted this procedure.

littlebr4d

Just wanted to thank you for this information-- We have had the blinking light issue a number of times in the past, usually after a power outage, and just a simple power cycle normally fixes it. My dad just called me a few minutes ago saying the power cycle fix didn't work, which led me to google, and eventually here.

Your fix worked like a charm-- Thanks again!

Lu77

I have been trying to fix my router problem unsuccessfully for two nights ... Until I came across your suggestion. It worked from the first try as a magic wand ... Thank you very much :smileyhappy:.

Thaejas

[ Edited ]

Hi,

i have tried all the mentioned steps.

3. Power up the router by plugging in the power cord. You should immediately notice the flashing stops and the router starts booting up normally.

Even after the above steps, the flashing/blinking of lights remained!!!!

To resolve the issue, I had to do the additional step

4. When the router is powered on, plugged into the computer, press the reset button for 30 seconds!

That's it! The blinking stopped and router began working perfectly after connecting to the Internet!

Many thanks for the fix tips!

garyncarol

Hi,

Thanks for your input.  I guess I forgot that I had pressed the reset after the first three steps.  Thanks!  Gary