Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
triumphshowdog
Accepted Solution

Problem connecting to http://192.168.1.1 webpage to manually set router

I'm new to using routers. I have a hybrid linksys WRT54G router with both wired and wireless capability that's a few years old. When I try to get onto the linksys manual router settings webpage at http://192.168.1.1, the page comes out "corrupted", i.e., it's obviously the right webpage, but lacking titles, tabs, labels, etc., on various parts of the webpage. This makes the page unusable to manually set the router. This occurs when I try to use either PC in my home to access this webpage. The router seems to be working well with both PC's in all other aspects. I was able to use the CD that came with the router to set up the network. I wanted to use the web-based settings to increase the security of the wireless part of the network. If there's anyone out there who can help, I'd be very grateful.
toomanydonuts

Re: Problem connecting to http://192.168.1.1 webpage to manually set router

To view the router's web pages:

You do not need an Internet connection. The router's "web pages" are built into the router.
Use Internet Explorer, it usually works.
JavaScript must be enabled.
Use a computer that is wired to the router.
In the non-working computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall.

Point your browser to 192.168.1.1 , then login to your router. Your user name should be left blank. Your password is "admin" (with no quotes), unless you changed it.

If you are using Zone Alarm, right click on the ZA icon in the system tray (lower right corner of screen) and then click "Shutdown ZoneAlarm", and see if this fixes your problem. If this does not work, try the following with Zone Alarm: Open the ZAISS control center, go to Privacy, then temporarily turn off Ad Blocking and Cookie Control, and see if that fixes your problem.

Some Zone Alarm users have reported that adding 192.168.1.1 to their list of "trusted" addresses fixed the problem. This trick might also work with other firewalls.

If you are using Noton Internet Security with the Add-on Pack, be sure to turn off the Pop-up Blocker, and the Ad blocker. Some users have reported that they needed to uninstall the entire Norton Add-on Pack.

If you cannot get anything at 192.168.1.1 then perhaps this is not your router's address. Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key. Look at the "Default Gateway". Is it 192.168.1.1 ? Point your browser to the "Default Gateway", then login to your router.

If the above fails, disconnect your modem from the router, and try again. If this corrects your problem, then most likely you have a "modem-router" rather than an ordinary modem. Report back with this problem, and also state the make and exact model number of your modem (not the router).

If all of the above fails, power down your entire system, unplug it from the wall, wait one minute, then power up and try again.

If all of the above tips fail, then reset the router to factory defaults: Power down the router and disconnect all wires from it. Wait one minute. Power up the router, allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes), then press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release the button and allow the router to reset and reboot ( 2-3 minutes). Power down router. Wait one minute. Connect one computer, by wire, to a LAN port on the router. Boot up system. It should work.

If you still have trouble, then you need to download and install (or re-install) the latest firmware for your router. After the firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch. If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

To set up wireless security, you must use a computer that is wired to the router.

Where to find the router settings: The router's login password is usually on one of the "Administration" pages. The other settings are all found in the "Wireless" section of the router's setup pages, located at 192.168.1.1

First, give your router a unique SSID. Don't use "linksys".
Make sure "SSID Broadcast" is set to "enabled".

Next, leave the router at its default settings (except for the unique SSID), and then use your pc to connect wirelessly to the router. Test your wireless Internet connection and make sure it is working correctly. You must have a properly working wireless connection before setting up wireless security.

To implement wireless security, you need to do one step at a time, then verify that you can still connect your wireless computer to the router.

Next, encrypt your wireless system using the highest level of encryption that all of your wireless devices will support. Common encryption methods are:

WEP - poor (see note below)
WPA (sometimes called PSK, or WPA with TKIP) - good
WPA2 (sometimes called PSK2, or WPA with AES) - best

WPA and WPA2 sometimes come in versions of "personal" and "enterprise". Most home users should use "personal". Also, if you have a choice between AES and TKIP, and your wireless equipment is capable of both, choose AES. With any encryption method, you will need to supply a key (sometimes called a "password" ).

The wireless devices (computers, printers, etc.) that you have will need to be set up with the SSID, encryption method, and key that matches what you entered in the router.

Retest your system and verify that your wireless Internet connection is still working correctly.

And don't forget to give your router a new login password.

Picking Passwords (keys): You should never use a dictionary word as a password. If you use a dictionary word as a password, even WPA2 can be cracked in a few minutes. When you pick your login password and encryption key (or password or passphrase) you should use a random combination of capital letters, small letters, and numbers, but no spaces. A login password, should be 12 characters or more. WPA and WPA2 passwords should be at least 24 characters. Note: Your key, password, or passphrase must not have any spaces in it.

Most home users should have their routers set so that "remote management" of the router is disabled. If you must have this option enabled, then your login password must be increased to a minumum of 24 random characters.

One additional issue is that Windows XP requires a patch to run WPA2.   The patch is in SP3, so you will need SP3 to run WPA2.

Note:
WEP is no longer recommended. The FBI has demonstrated that WEP can be cracked in just a few minutes using software tools that are readily available over the Internet. Even a long random character password will not protect you with WEP. You should be using WPA or preferably WPA2 encryption.

Gollum

As you are able to login to the Router setup page, but unable to see any tab on your Router. First thing which you need to do is, Clear the Browser settings on  your IE (Delete Cookies, Delete Offline Files), Disable all Firewall and Anti-virus on your Computer and then try to login to the Router setup page.If still the same problem then you can try to access the setup page of your Router from a different computer and check if you are able to make the changes on your Router. 

If still the same problem then i think you need to upgrade the firmware of your Router using the TFTP Utility. 

Click Here to download the TFTP Utility on your Computer. 

Go to website linksysbycisco.com/downloads.........insert model no of your router in serach tab......select proper version of your router........download the firmware file......save that file on desktop..

Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the device : -
Double click the TFTP.exe file and click run.
For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...
For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...
Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable.

Now try to login to the Router setup page and check if you are able to see all the tab and able to make the changes on your Router. 

triumphshowdog

Thanks so much for the very detailed and useful response. I did exactly what you said and my wireless network is now working great! I also think it's a lot more secure than before. Thanks for giving such a quick and thorough response!:  smileyhappy:
triumphshowdog

Thanks for the helpful and thorough response! You guys are great!