Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
samhass

Problem connecting with wireless router

Hi I am having problems connecting to the internet wirelessly using my laptop. I have a linksys wireless-g router, and the model number is WRT54G. I am able to access the internet on my main computer using the modem. I cannot even open http://192.168.1.1 on my main computer. Whenever i try to open http://192.168.1.1 on my main computer, it says that the connection has timed out because 192.168.1.1 is taking to long to respond. Thank you for your time
kisses08

Re: Problem connecting with wireless router

"I am able to access the internet on my main computer using the modem. I cannot even open http://192.168.1.1 on my main computer."

You will not be able to access the router setup page if your computer is connected to the modem. make sure you have the correct physical connections. modem should be connected to the internet port of your router and your computer goes to any LAN port of your router (port 1,2,3 or 4).
tubemein

let me get this right... your desktop is able to connect the Internet but cannot connect to Router's admin page, am I correct ? If so, I would check the DNS settings on your Desktop.. maybe it's configured manually and the DNS (or Network) settings are configured to your ISP's settings. But yeah... make sure your Hardware is properly connected: Modem > Router > Desktop. You can also try pinging (from command prompt: ie ping 192.168.1.1) your router if your getting any response.
richard804

Is this a new Installation or your router suddenly stopped working?
If it is a new installation, your modem and router are using the same ip address.
Connect your modem to your computer and log on.
Input your username and password in Setup then click connect.
Disconnect computer from modem and connect it to router.
Log on to router and go to setup
Change IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 and click on Save.
Now connect modem to router.  You should be able to connect to Internet.

Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
samhass

Thanks for the help so far but I'm still out of luck. The router has been working for years, and all of a sudden last night my laptop would not detect the wireless network. I tried a lot of things; factory reset, even tried to connect router to my laptop directly but could not access 192.168.1.1 Also tried to upgrade firmware with tftp but would not connect. Right now my modem is connected to router, and the internet works perfect. But no other computer can detect the wireless router and I can't load 192.162.1.1 Anything else I can try other than a new router?
richard804

If you enabled UPnP settings in router, you should see In XP an Icon showing a globe with a monitor with the name Linksys WRT54G.  Double click on it and you should connect to the router.  If you are using Vista, you will see a picture of a router with Linksys WRT54G.  Right click on it then click on view webbase page.

If this does not work I think you will have to replace your router.
samhass

when I do ipconfig my default gateway is not 192.168.1.1 like in the past. I've released and renewed, still can't get to work. ip:71.118.76.67 sub: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 71.118.76.1 If I do a static IP, what do I put for DNS server? thanks
richard804

Your main computer should be setup like this: modem--router--computer.  You are saying that your main computer is connected directly to your modem.

Now connect router between modem and computer.
Try Connecting to Internet using main computer or laptop.
samhass

My desktop is connected to the internet with the modem connected to the router and the router to the PC. The internet works but the IP address is still 71.105.4.55 and can't ping 192.168.1.1 I've tried only the modem to the desktop and internet works, I've tried just the router to the desktop and laptop but can't get into settings. So right now, my modem is connected to the router and internet works great so the router is still working? But the router cannot be seen on the wireless network..I'm so confused.
tubemein

I would recommend re-installing your network card driver... ping the router from a different PC that HAVEN"T been connected to this router.. so you know if it's your PC or router.