Graves61

Problems with Linksys E1200 wireless-N-router

Hello All,

I have a strange problem. I currently have a D-link  dir-655. I'm replacing it due to age and occasional signal drops.

The problem is when I try to change routers, nothing works. The desktop shows a connection but trying to get online results in "looking for ...."  and times out.  I always restart everything after making new connections...modem, router and then pc.

Also with the linksys, the result is basically the same.  It shows connection but will not get online.  I can change back to the dlink and everything works again...well it did until this last attemp at installing the linksys. Now when going back to the dlink, I only have wireless...

Any suggestions? I had this same problem a couple of months ago when trying to switch to a netgear router.

Thanks

Expert
sabretooth

Re: Problems with Linksys E1200 wireless-N-router

Please tell us the exact settings and configuration you used on the new router.  You never mentioned any configuration that was done.

Graves61

Well, to be honest.  I just used the install cd to setup the router and it basically just ask for router name and password.

I don't have anything special setup on my dlink.  Pretty much out-of-the-box settings.

It almost seems that dlink has a hold on something and will not let anything new be installed.

Sorry, thats not much help.  What kind of info are you looking for?

Expert
sabretooth

Well you have to configure the router for cable or DSL.  Can't just slap it in.

DSL go here.

Cable go here.

Graves61

Thanks for the info. Gonna give it a try this morning. The install software really should either ask or detect that though.

I've had netgear, and dlink. I've setup linksys before for friends.  I haven't had to do anything special in the past short of setting up port forwarding for an old race server a couple years back.

Anyway, printed the article out and going to give it a go later.

Thanks again