MarekWK

Problems with WRT160N

[ Edited ]
Just received this router. While most reviewers seem to have a favorable opinions, few noted the same problem I am experiencing - loosing network connectivity entirely (between the router and the cable modem) or loosing connection to some clients: 2 wireless laptops - one N and one G, and 4 wired connections. This requires a reboot of the router 2-3 times a day. Never experienced any of these problems with a Linksys WRT54G, a unit that this one replaced. Unless I can resolve it, the WRT54G is going back in, and WRT160N is going back. So, has anyone else here experienced this? Hopefully, this is a problem with particular unit and not indicative of the entire line. (and yes, I have the latest firmware and know how to configure networks). Thanks for any feedback!

(Edited post for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 02-24-2008 07:17 AM
hartleyw

Re: Problems with WRT160N

I am having the exact same issue. When I called linksys they told me to reflash the router to the lastest firmware, this did nothing for the issue. I would love to hear back from linksys on what is causing this problem.

MarekWK

Well, I re-flashed the firmware as well... and problems still existed. Also discovered another one - this unit was inducing noise on my digital phone line (using Time Warner cable for both Internet and phone service).

Needless to say, this thing is packed up and ready to be returned for refund. My old WRT54G is working just great, just not at N speed. Will look into other options on that one.
IntegiLink

I am having similar problems, as well as drops in signal strength and speed frequently during the day.  The router is in the basement where the high-speed internet cable connection comes into the house.  We have a laptop (Microsoft XP) usually on the main floor and another laptop (Microsoft Vista) on the top floor, and a printer (HP All-in-one) on the top floor - all using the wireless network connectivity.

I have also had complete drops from the network that require reflash and reconnect, sometimes restarts.  This is annoying, to say the least.

My wife works at home in the top floor office and uses VOIP for voice communication.  Power stability is essential - and this WRT160N is much less powerful, speedy, and dependable than the WRT54G it replaced.  If the N is several times more powerful and speedy than the G, why is mine so much less?

Any solutions would really be appreciated!
dragonslayer655

I am having the same problem got a thread going at this link as well.

xdaverx

This is disappointing.  I fought with my WRT330N for a while and it was so tweaky to set up.  I don't know if my daughter messed with it or what but the N performance seemed broken on it.  After just going through the RMA process with my PCI N adapter I decided to say 'screw it' with the router even though it's a year old max.  I got the WRT160N because of the good reviews.  I work for a wireless provider so don't use VOIP talky but I thought this would be rock solid and I didn't really use the GIG functionality anyway so saving a little cash was good I thought.  I get very good range with this router (like the 330N) but I don't have to mess with DTIM/beacon/frag/etc. to get good normal speeds.  STD channel always seems more steady though; even running non-mixed.  Don't get that.  Must be the draft status.  Good luck and if you have to RMA may the force be with you.  Frustrating process for me.
twinbros

I'm having similar problems.

I posted my problem in this thread

I've been reading through these forums and I have the same problem. I just bought a WRT160N router, since I got 2 computers now at home and want them to share my internet connection.

About once a day, maybe every 12-14 hours or so, my router loses it's internet connection with my Videotron (my ISP) cable modem. When I disconnect my modem from my router and plug it directly to my PC, my internet connection is fine, so I know it's not my modem on thw internet connection itself.

I even set the 2 computers connected to my router on static IPs, so they are always the same and again, I got the same problem. And like you guys, when I unplug the router and re-boot, everything works fine again until the next day.

I called Linksys Tech support and they told me to change the MTU number to 1365 (instead of 1500) and also changed something in the security settings. We'll see if that works.

I even set the static IPs of my 2 computers outside the range of IPs set that my router would assign (DHCP settings) to make sure there won't be any conflicts. My lease time is set at 0, meaning once a day. We'll see if that works.

But just to say that I get the exact same problem with my router like you guys do. The only difference seems to be the time intervals of this problem (once a day, once every 3 days, etc).

If this continues, I will definatly consider changing to another brand, but I read earlier they get the same problem too.

The only thing I forgot to do so far is clone my MAC address to my router. It might be that, who knows. Would my ISP or my modem cut the conneection to my router b/c it reads the routers MAC address instead of my computer's?

Oh, and both computers are wired connections to my router, so it's not a wireless transmission issue.
crs19grg

have the same problem, lost connection with wrt160N, need to unplug/plug electric wire. first,changed frimware,  then the router itself, tried different channels; problem persisting;
unfortunatly, tech support does not help like usual
Chatterbox

I also have issues with this router. The wireless part of the router just seems broken. When the wireless connection drops, it often does not come back. Even when I move my laptop 1 inch away from the router: no wireless. A reset resolves this, indicating this might be a software bug. I really would like to know which wireless router actually works. I tried so many different routers that all failed. The only one that did work perfectly was a Philips ADSL router, but I have cable now, so it is useless. Sigh. Linksys should resolve this. My previous very old linksys router needed a reset once or twice a week. This one needs a reset many times a day!
Chatterbox

I'm not sure it is a software problem... I installed the open source DD-WRT on the router, and the first day it worked like a charm, but now it is often loosing its wireless connection again, just as with the Linksys software. Again the distance away from the router does not matter, and when I get connection, it is at full speed. Since the router gets really hot, I thought it might overheat, so I let it cool down, and tried again, but that does not seem to change the behavior. So it looks like this router has some kind of hardware problem?