leonpc

Problems with the Cisco/Linksys EA4500

I replaced a WRT610N after it got struck with lightning with a Linksys EA4500.  What a mistake it has turned out to be.  I returned the first one to Best Buy thinking that it was broken within 18 hours of buying it.  My issue is that at any point of time that you loose power to the device you loose your network connections even when it comes back up. My biggest problem is that when these routers loose power and then regain it the router seems to be on but networking is disconnected.  So the big bright CISCO light shines very bright but none of the network ports are active.  So you unplug and replug the power while waiting 20-30 seconds and nothing changes. I finally gave up and called CISCO support which is a whole other story

The only way to fix this is to power it down while keeping the reset button in. then leave it unplugged for 30-45 seconds all the time holding the reset button and then apply power and still hold the reset button for another 30 or so seconds.  The Cisco light in the front will then go off and then go into a slow blink....

Now all of this would have been fine if it worked everytime.  This is the procedure that Cisco support had me go through the first time and it worked then but I have tried it twice since (Either because of weather or general loss of electricity in town) and each time it had been the luck of the draw as to when this works.  When I asked the technician if this is a known problem with the router I was told that it was not.  The issue was apparently that I did not save my router configuration correctly to the Router CMOS which leaves the router in a hanging state.

Well I am sorry.  I followed the instructions on the CD to a T and I have not seen any reference to the step where I need to store my configuration to the CMOS.

So if anybody else has seen this same behaviour I would like to hear from you.  If you know how to fix it I would desperately want to hear from you and if ANYBODY from Cisco is reading this... PLEASE go back to your WRT610 designs and the buffalo chip BECAUSE it worked.

Oh just to give you an example of how frustrated I am with this router...  I lost power overnight.  Woke up this morning to no networking.  It is now 8:12 pm and I am still without networking (I have my pc plugged directly into the DSL modem) because I can not get the Cisco EA4500 to do its job and trying to speak to somebody at Cisco has wasted about 5 hours of my time today!

brickmonkey

Re: Problems with the Cisco/Linksys EA4500

Try to reset the router in the following manner. The following reset procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set Router back to default values:

~~ With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds

~~ Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds

~~ Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds....

When the lights on the router gets stable the check again whether it’s getting restarting or not..

Then you have to make the following physical connectivity:

• The router’s power adapter needs to be plugged to your router and into an available power outlet.

• If using a wired connection, the first Ethernet cable needs to be plugged to the computer’s LAN port into any of the router’s blue numbered Ethernet ports.

• Then press the reset button seconds, turn off the router wait for 30 seconds and then power it on. Power light should blink when you perform the reset process.

After reset, follow the instructions below for your specific Internet service type:

To learn how to set up your router with Cable Internet service, here is the link: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=0ff4c94586a345d082828ec2161aaecf_3686.xml&pid=80&r....

To learn how to set up your router with DSL Internet service, here is the link: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=20ee1457387f40178cd5f41d4b585db4_3687.xml&pid=80&r...

After doing the following reset procedure check the connectivity status….

opheliaimmortal23

leonpc wrote:

I replaced a WRT610N after it got struck with lightning with a Linksys EA4500.  What a mistake it has turned out to be.  I returned the first one to Best Buy thinking that it was broken within 18 hours of buying it.  My issue is that at any point of time that you loose power to the device you loose your network connections even when it comes back up. My biggest problem is that when these routers loose power and then regain it the router seems to be on but networking is disconnected.  So the big bright CISCO light shines very bright but none of the network ports are active.  So you unplug and replug the power while waiting 20-30 seconds and nothing changes. I finally gave up and called CISCO support which is a whole other story

The only way to fix this is to power it down while keeping the reset button in. then leave it unplugged for 30-45 seconds all the time holding the reset button and then apply power and still hold the reset button for another 30 or so seconds.  The Cisco light in the front will then go off and then go into a slow blink....

Now all of this would have been fine if it worked everytime.  This is the procedure that Cisco support had me go through the first time and it worked then but I have tried it twice since (Either because of weather or general loss of electricity in town) and each time it had been the luck of the draw as to when this works.  When I asked the technician if this is a known problem with the router I was told that it was not.  The issue was apparently that I did not save my router configuration correctly to the Router CMOS which leaves the router in a hanging state.

Well I am sorry.  I followed the instructions on the CD to a T and I have not seen any reference to the step where I need to store my configuration to the CMOS.

So if anybody else has seen this same behaviour I would like to hear from you.  If you know how to fix it I would desperately want to hear from you and if ANYBODY from Cisco is reading this... PLEASE go back to your WRT610 designs and the buffalo chip BECAUSE it worked.

Oh just to give you an example of how frustrated I am with this router...  I lost power overnight.  Woke up this morning to no networking.  It is now 8:12 pm and I am still without networking (I have my pc plugged directly into the DSL modem) because I can not get the Cisco EA4500 to do its job and trying to speak to somebody at Cisco has wasted about 5 hours of my time today!

Cases like power outage or storm, it is best to power down the network first (modem off, router off, devices off) when power is back. When you turn off start with devices, router, then modem. You can wait for 30 seconds then the first one to plug in is the modem waiting for leds to come on then the router and so forth. That works everytime. You don't have to reset your router each time that happens because the settings will be set back to factory.

Otter69

Figured this one out guys.  I had an  EA4500 do the blink of death, and decided to swap it with a WRVS4400N that I had in the truck.  I used the EA power supply and the WRV did the same blink of death??  I check the power supply that CAME with the EA: 12V and 0.42 amps.  The WRV required 1.5 amps.  When I looked at the EA, it required 2amps.  NOT 0.42 amps.  I had a power supply that was rated at 1.25 amps, and tried it with the EA.  WORKS PERFECT!

What a huge oversight on Cisco!!

scott611

I was up until 2 am this morning trying to fix the blink of death on my EA4500.  I bought it as a refurbished unit directly from Cisco and it came with a bad power supply to begin with.  To get it working I used the power adapter from my linksys wrt54gs.  The router worked great for about three months then last week it started this blinking jazz but it only lasted for about 5 mins and a hard reset back to factory default got it going again.  Last night was the final straw, I don't think this thing can handle the load cisco says it can.  I had my desktop hardwire connected while four other devices were connected to the wireless, from the desktop I was installing a new WD mybook NAS, my wife was surfing on her Macbook Pro while my daughter was streaming youtube plus two iPhones connected but idle.  I spent two hours on live chat with the desktop connected to the cable modem and a laptop connected to the router to make changes, the only change livechat could come up with was to change the MTU setting to 'manual 1500', nothing else.  Another reset and it started working again without much load since all the other devices were turned off and the desktop was plugged back into the router.  Later in the afternoon I tried downloading a couple of forms for my wife through the desktop but as soon as it powered up the router went into the blink **bleep** again.  Light loads all day from one or two wireless devices and it ran fine.  Switched back to the old standby WRT54 and looking for answers while I'm at work.

ScarletJamie

scott611 wrote:

I was up until 2 am this morning trying to fix the blink of death on my EA4500.  I bought it as a refurbished unit directly from Cisco and it came with a bad power supply to begin with.  To get it working I used the power adapter from my linksys wrt54gs.  The router worked great for about three months then last week it started this blinking jazz but it only lasted for about 5 mins and a hard reset back to factory default got it going again.  Last night was the final straw, I don't think this thing can handle the load cisco says it can.  I had my desktop hardwire connected while four other devices were connected to the wireless, from the desktop I was installing a new WD mybook NAS, my wife was surfing on her Macbook Pro while my daughter was streaming youtube plus two iPhones connected but idle.  I spent two hours on live chat with the desktop connected to the cable modem and a laptop connected to the router to make changes, the only change livechat could come up with was to change the MTU setting to 'manual 1500', nothing else.  Another reset and it started working again without much load since all the other devices were turned off and the desktop was plugged back into the router.  Later in the afternoon I tried downloading a couple of forms for my wife through the desktop but as soon as it powered up the router went into the blink **bleep** again.  Light loads all day from one or two wireless devices and it ran fine.  Switched back to the old standby WRT54 and looking for answers while I'm at work.

It might be a power adapter issue or firmware problem. Just make sure you are using the correct power adapter specs, update the firmware to the latest version, reset and reconfigure.

Teddmc

I do know how to fix this. When I have a power outage the router stops talking to the cable modem. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the cable mod, over whatever you have. Plug your laptop Int the cable modem.Go to network connections and got to local Area connections. Right click  on local and click status. I think there is a refresh you can click.  Plug your cable modem back in and plug your laptop into your router and that shoud do it. Try and get to the Internet while plugged into the router. This seems to work every time. I am typing on an ipad so sorry for the vague response.

lheyvens

[ Edited ]

@Teddmc

Those steps that you mentioned are correct but you can also try to power cycle by turning off the modem & router then after 1 minute turn on the modem 1st then wait for all the lights to be back. Once the lights on the modem are back then you power on the router. You may also try to restart your computer while conducting the power cycle.:smileywink:

bradm3

[ Edited ]

scott611 wrote:

Any luck? I cant find any other information about this problem. Reset procedure does not work. Planning on wasting my time with support soon.

opheliaimmortal23

The most important thing to note is to use the power adapter intended for the router. If you have the same problem and your router has the correct power adapter but the Cisco emblem keeps on blinking, do reset. If reset does not work, try to plug the router to another power outlet. If it does the same thing, get the router updated to the latest firmware.