Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Snowdog850

Pros/Cons same SSID for 2.4 vs. 5? (E2500)

I just got a new E2500 and out of the box the system uses the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  Obviously you CAN configure them to use different SSID's, though.  Should I make them different or keep them the same?  I don't really want to mess around with having 2 different SSID's if I don't get a real benefit.

Will most devices that support both (like a new laptop) find and use the 5 automatically?

Expert
sabretooth

Re: Pros/Cons same SSID for 2.4 vs. 5? (E2500)

You should have different SSIDs so you know which band you are connected to at any one time.  Otherwise, you don't know.

Snowdog850

I don't understand why I would care.  If my hardware (laptop, iPad, etc.) will pick the 5 GHz if available, then I don't really care.  I don't want to have to have to figure out which one my hardware supports in order to connect.

jaymay

The main reason why setting the network name to a unique name is for you easily identify which network your devices are connecting to. If all of your wireless devices uses dual band adapters, it's alright to leave the name of the 5Ghz network to the same with the 2.4Ghz network.

Snowdog850

I get that I could tell which network they're connecting to, but I don't understand why I should care what network they're connecting to.

Expert
sabretooth

Basically the 2.4 has better range and the 5 may have better throughput.  That's why you care.

Jake_2.0

It will not really matter if which wireless network you are connected if you’re just using your computer to browse the internet. It's just a matter of preference. If you  want the computer to get a better wireless range then you need to use the 2.4 GHz wireless network but if you want a faster speed especially when you are streaming media files then you need to use the 5 GHz wireless network.

htmlspinnr

The other folks here are correct - 5GHz doesn't propagate nearly as far as 2.4GHz.

Depending on the wireless driver in the device in question, most devices will favor the 2.4GHz network due to increase perceived signals strength unless the driver is set to favor throughput over signal strength. I found the only way to "prefer" the 5GHz band was to use unique SSIDs. You can configure both in your device, but set a preference/priority to the 5ghz SSID for devices that support it.

As far as the throughput vs. speed argument - that only applies IF you're using a 40MHz channel-width on the 5GHz band (it's plain rude to occupy 2 of the 3 usable channels on 2.4GHz in densely populated areas), the adapter supports 40MHz channels, and if your adapter suports multiple streams. If your adapter limits itself to 20MHz and a single stream (like cheap laptops on 2.4GHz or cell phones), then it's apples to apples theoretically, and inteference/congestion on the 2.4ghz band is the bigger factor if signal strength is good for both.