IrvS

Question, How can one tell if a Wireless router has 'gone bad'?

Question, How can one tell if a Wireless router has 'gone bad'? It seems like a dumb question to me, but I can't tell?

For 6 months we've had little is any problems.

Now we have fluctuation wildly connection to the router speeds and even drops on two machines connected wirelessly. Web pages loaded erratically, and sometimes we get a message in the browser that the page couldn't load as the connection was broken before it could be completed, but we never see the connection show a drop?

LinkSys claims it is working fine?

Thanks in advance for the answer,
Thanks,
Irv S.
oook

Re: Question, How can one tell if a Wireless router has 'gone bad'?

Possibly the firmware is gone bad ... so download the firmware from http://linksys.com/download  .... after upgrade ...reset & reconfigure the router ....
IrvS

First thing that was tried. Still experienced problems. Coerced LinkSys into replacing the router. Prime problem is that web pages randomly say connection was broken before page was fully loaded and the network connect speed never is the max that it was before about 2 weeks ago. Two machines have this problem.
Thanks,
Irv S.
oook

If you already tried all the settings .. then possibly the router is gone bad ...
IrvS

Replacement Remanufactured router came late yesterday. It was already at the latest firmware level. This is a WRT350N and this one shipped with the EasyLink Adviser. It installed fine, but it wouldn't run on my XP Pro system that I have the router hardwired to. It started and then when I pressed SETUP it could find the page it was after. Interestingly I couldn't get it to run before (long ago) when I d/l'ed from LinkSys' site. Then the 350N wasn't a supported router. Since it shipped with it I thought it would work, go no? A friend just got a 310 and had the same problem. Guess it doesn't work for everyone or some specific system setups? I'm guessing it couldn't find my CD as it wasn't D:? Anyway, I proceeded to manually set-up the router. All defaults essentially other than the wireless setting which I changed the channel, security, and network name. Works FINE and I have a constant connection speed of 270 Mbps almost all of the time. The old router NEVER got that high very often. Last thing to play with is the storage link that hardly worked on the old router. If it still doesn't work the way I want it, I'll just not use it. The whole point is that lower connection speed wirelessly seems to be an indication of something wrong in the router, that is at least if you had been getting higher speeds consistently before.
Thanks,
Irv S.