Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ChicagoGuy72

Question about VPN connections on a E2500 router

Hello,

I am working with vpn setups for the first time, so I have some questions I would really appriciate some help with. I would like to be able to connect to a computer on a home network through a linksys E2500 router. I have found alot of documentation on connecting to an external vpn from a computer on the lan side of the router, but nothing on connecting from the outside in. The router does have a static ip address with my internet provider, so I can contact the router from the outside. But makeing the connection to the computer on the other side of the router is where I am missing something or I dont realize that it is not possible. On the lan side I am using DHCP to assign the address to the computer I want to connect to. Perhaps I need to make it have a static address also? I realize that when I configure the connection from the outside that I need to direct the connection to the remote computer in some way, unless vpn connections are fully passed through the router and the connection issue I am haveing is with the "inside" computer.

Other info:

I am using windows 7 for the vpn access

Thank you in advance for your help.

brickmonkey

Re: Question about VPN connections on a E2500 router

According to the scenario what I understand is that you want to provide a static IP address simultaneously with the DHCP of the router. If that is the case then it will not be possible with this router. Since this is a SOHO (Small Office Home Office) router. So you need to have a business router to fulfil the requirements of the router.

opheliaimmortal23

Re: Question about VPN connections on a E2500 router

ChicagoGuy72 wrote:

Hello,

I am working with vpn setups for the first time, so I have some questions I would really appriciate some help with. I would like to be able to connect to a computer on a home network through a linksys E2500 router. I have found alot of documentation on connecting to an external vpn from a computer on the lan side of the router, but nothing on connecting from the outside in. The router does have a static ip address with my internet provider, so I can contact the router from the outside. But makeing the connection to the computer on the other side of the router is where I am missing something or I dont realize that it is not possible. On the lan side I am using DHCP to assign the address to the computer I want to connect to. Perhaps I need to make it have a static address also? I realize that when I configure the connection from the outside that I need to direct the connection to the remote computer in some way, unless vpn connections are fully passed through the router and the connection issue I am haveing is with the "inside" computer.

Other info:

I am using windows 7 for the vpn access

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kindly check these links:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801e51e2.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2086/products_configuration_example09186a008009436a...