BOOTH32713

RELEASE IP ADDRESS FROM ROUTER MODEL WRT54GS

[ Edited ]

How can I release the IP address from my linksys router?

I am replacing my router and it seems that my DSL cable modem only remembers the linksys router IP address and not will not congif my new router.

Message Edited by BOOTH32713 on 01-10-2010 04:55 PM
toomanydonuts

Re: RELEASE IP ADDRESS FROM ROUTER MODEL WRT54GS

Your Linksys router will release it's IP address by simply powering down the router, wait 30 seconds, then power up the router again.  But I doubt that that is your problem. 

1)  Please state your ISP 

2)  Please state the make and exact model number of your modem (not the WRT54GS).

3)  Please do the following test:

Power down your entire network.  Using an ethernet cable, connect your modem directly to your computer.  (Do not use the WRT54GS for this test.)  Power up the modem and computer.  Verify that you have a working Internet connection, then proceed with the following:  (Even if your Internet connection does not work, state this, and proceed.)

Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig /all" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key.   Copy all the results to your next post.  To do the copy, highlight the results, then use the copy (Ctrl-c) keys and the paste (Ctrl-v) keys.  If your "IP address" does not start with 192.168 , then for security reasons, erase the last half of your IP address.

Kudos!
scrooge

Who is ISP...? DSL or Cable...?

Simply connect modem to the router on Internet Port and computer to the router on port1..Open the linksys setup page and configure the router.try this link.

Expert
Expert

You can release the IP address in the web interface on the Status page. Open http://192.168.1.1/ click on Status and press the release button.

If that does not solve your problem your ISP probably remembers the MAC address of the device connected to the modem. You can deal with that by using the MAC address clone function in the router (somewhere on one of the Setup subtabs) or by either powering down everything (including the modem) for a while (e.g. one night) or sometimes by resetting the modem. What do to exactly depends on when the ISP will consider your internet connection free again for a new connection. MAC address clone should work immediately but has the disadvantage that you have to remember the settings as the router will loose the setting after a factory defaults reset.
tyciol

I tried http://192.168.0.1/Status.asp but there is no 'release' button. Did Cisco disable it? Is there some other way to release the IP so we can get a new adress?

Jake_2.0

The router's status tab should have the tab for DHCP release/renew. If you will not be able to find that then you can try the following. Use other browser. You can also reset the router and then reconfigure the router's settings.