Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ksplv

Random connections to 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz wireless on E4200

Got my E4200, it's great, everything is workig fine.

Issue is with my MacBook Pro, which on "waking up" sometimes connects to 5 GHz band and sometimes to 2,4 GHz.
I would like to always connect to 5 GHz with MacBook Pro.

In settings both bands have same SSID and all the channel width stuff is set to auto.

Thanks!
Expert
sabretooth

Re: Random connections to 5 Hz and 2,4 GHz wireless on E4200

Change the SSID to be different on each band.   Then you will know which band you are connecting too.  Set the 2.4 band to channel 1, the 5 band to channel 157.  Now try.

Ksplv

[ Edited ]

Thanks, I will try that.

I was kinda hoping for more elegant solution, maybe something to do with channels favoring one band over the other, seeing how flawlessly everything works with the same SSID.

vai_fan

Try to do the following steps:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3]Then go to the Wireless tab, keep network mode as mixed,

For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11..

For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

Ksplv

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll stick with different SSID's, just to make 100% sure.

musicmanohyeah

Also, remove your 2.4GHz wireless profile on your Mac by choosing "Forget this Network".