Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
walterdavidwilson

Range not good on my e2500 router

Range is not good for my E2500 router. My house is on one level and spread out quite a bit. Have the router near my main computer. If I take my laptop or Iphone into my bedroom (about 70 feet away-thru 3 interior walls), I have no wi-fi. If I put the router in the middle of the attic, will my signal improve?  As an alternative, is there an external antenna that I can attach to the E2500, that will have better db gain than the built-in one?.  Thanks.  Dave.

Expert
kent07

Re: Range not good on my e2500 router

FYI wireless signal goes up, it's not a good idea to put your router in the attic. Also, there is no way to attach an external to the router. Have you tried playing with the channels?

walterdavidwilson

Thanks for the info. I did change to channel 11 and that helped a bit. I still need to get the router more centralized and higher. I currently have it on the desk next to the computer.  I can get it higher by putting it in a bookshelf above the PC. I had heard that putting it in the attic over the center of the house might work. Don't want to have to run a lot of wires up into the attic (input to the router and output from the router, if I don't have to. Dave. P.S. I know that centralization and are the keys. Again thanks.

Expert
sabretooth

Since the antennas are on top the router radiates out the sides and top.  Better to put it lower or on it's side.

Shane3619

You might need a range extender for your network. You might want to check this link:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&articleid=24339