Highlighted

Receiving high ping spikes on EA6100 router

[ Edited ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with my problems. I seem to randomly get ping spikes which can go up to about 1500 ping (ms). It only happens on my wireless devices as I have run ping tests in cmd on my desktop attached to the router with no or very little ping spikage. However on my iPhone and my laptop I receive ping spikes. 

Some details on the network (2.4 GHz):

Network: Enabled

Network mode: Mixed

Security mode: WPA2 Personal

Channel width 20 MHz only

Channel is 9 - (2.452 Ghz) (Have tried 6, 11, 1 as well with same problems)

Broadcast SSID: Enabled

In media prioritation my laptop is prioritized and I have 59 603 Downstream Bandwidth with WWM support on.

I've tried contactnig support but there doesn't seem to be an easy solution I'm hoping someone here can help me. Attached is a screenshot of the ping test showing what the spikes usually look like.

ping

My ISP is Cogeco in Canada Ontario.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight

Re: Receiving high ping spikes on EA6100 router

Just tried rebooting my router too, restoring the settings. Still receiving jumps in ping.

Try changing the wireless channel of the router. It could be a hit and miss when changing the channels but you can use tools, like inSSIDer, to help choose which channel will work best for your network. If that won't work, disable the WMM under Media Prioritization. Upgrade the router's firmware too.

Changing the wireless channel did help reduce it, but the ping still seems to be spiking. Disabling WMM didn't seem to change much and routers firmware is fully upgraded. Thank you for the help though, I changed to Channel 11 instead of 9 and I used the tool you said which showed most networks were on channel 6 and I got best rating with 11. 

[ Edited ]

That's good to hear. You can also try relocating the router and your other wireless devices to minimize physical obstruction. Keep them away from large metallic objects, thick walls, etc. 

Still receiving the ping jumps, contacted my ISP says it's on routers end, but literally went through every option I could change on this router that support recommended. I tried a dlink router too and experiencing this issue? Anyone know anything which my ISP might be at fault at or maybe my computers wireless adapter?

Anonymous

If it happens with a different router, its either the ISP service or the WiFi adapter.

Ensure the WiFi adapter drivers are up to date.

Try a different adapter on this PC to see if anything changes. Try a laptop or barrow one if possible. 

What model is the D-Link router?