kromedome42303

Reset WRT54G router remotely

I am having some "funky" problems with our network and it seems to be affecting only the wireless clients.  I don't really think it's the routers but we did have some severe storms go through the area Friday afternoon.  Rather than walk around the building power-cycling the routers I decided I should just do a soft reset via the web admin interface.  Much to my surprise I do not see a soft reset command button anywhere on the web admin interface.  The only reset I see is "Factory Defaults" and I sure don't want that.

Does the WRT54G have the ability to command a soft reset (i.e. restart) via the web admin interface?

-kaw-
ehasself

Re: Reset WRT54G router remotely

Anyone?

There has to be a way to reset/reboot/power cycle this router remotely, right? There does not seem to be...
Nosfera2

I am curious about this too. It seems that resetting sometimes solves problems, and when I'm away from home a remote reboot of the router would be ideal. Kinda sux if that does not exist.
neo27

I thought I've seen it some place in the web interface but I may be wrong. If a soft restart button does not exist, what you can do is get into the web interface then click on Save Settings button without making any changes. That should restart the router (once again, I may be wrong - I don't have WRT54G in front of me at the moment).
kromedome42303

That is a good idea to try.  I have not tried it yet so I don't know if it will in fact restart the router by clicking Save Settings without changing anything.  But I will try it tonight.  (My routers at work are mounted in such a way to make it difficult to see the status LED's on the front panel to confirm that it did go through a restart routine.)

But, even if that doesn't work, I could change something (like the Admin password), save the settings (which would cause a restart) and then change it back and save again to go back to the proper password.

Thanks for the tip!!

If you click on the Save button under the Basic Settings Tab will reset/reboot the modem.
ChrisTOTG

Can I have confirmation that this works on a WRT54G v5? I have tried, but the settings-save-page comes up rather quickly.

As my firewall is protecting me from some quite excessive upstream traffic, it gets *slow* after a few days. Since I work remotely most of the time, I need a way to restart the router periodically.

Perhaps an older firmware still has the option? Or someone has a link (say, the function used by the restart button after a firmware upgrade)?

I don't personally use Linksys firmware but what I do use reboots the router when I click on the Save button.  Reason I know this is the Status page shows the uptime since last reboot.  When the button is pressed the power led blinks for about ten seconds and the uptime restarts at 00:00, just like clicking a reset button.  Which the third party firmware has.

ChrisTOTG

Uhh.... Where can I get my hands on that firmware? And will it work on the v5 hardware?
ChrisTOTG

Nevermind, there appears to be no firmware for it. At least, not at the web sites that google found for me.

Regardless of the inexplicable lack of a reboot button, I will definitely be getting another wrt54g device.

Where can I find out about the latest (or upcoming) versions of the product?