frank54

Retrieve Password Linksys Wireless G router

Linksys Wireless G router.  How can I retrieve / confirm my password?

Frank
Expert
Expert

Re: Retrieve Password Linksys Wireless G router

Connect to http://192.168.1.1/ (or whatever the address of the router is) and enter the correct password. To be sure, do this from a computer wired to the router. Also remove the modem connection (i.e. don't connect anything to the Internet port).

The default password is "admin". No username required. If you don't remember the correct password and you don't want to use some brute-force cracking software the only option is to reset the router pressing reset for 30 seconds. After that everything should be back to factory defaults including the default password.
frank54

Retrieve Password Linksys Wireless G router

I didn't word my question right, sorry.  I'm not sure If i ever created a password.  Using my wireless router, I just click on my Internet Explorer desktop icon and I access the internet immediately.  I couldn't have been so foolish not to have created a password.  However, if I created a password shouldn't it ask for it before I can access the internet.  Additionally, if I did not originally create a password does that mean I have to reinstall the wireless router all over again in order to create one?

Frank
Expert
Expert

You cannot setup a password on a standard linksys router for internet access.

You setup a password to protect the configuration of the router. The default password there is "admin". If you don't change it it is very easy for someone else to make modification to the configuration of the router. Therefore you must change the password of the router.

If you simply plug it in and you have internet connection that just means that the router is able to make an internet connection with its default settings.

The default settings are very insecure. Among others you are running an open access point to which any of your neighbors can connect and access your internet connection and your computers.

Read the manual for instructions how to setup the router.
Ballbreaker51860

Hello I have a d2Pad Internet Tablet and I can't figure out how to get my password so I can get on the internet in my home where I live I can't pic up the WIFI Conncecting could you please tell me how to get the password so I can get online on my tablet?
Expert
zee29

If you need to know your wireless password to add the tablet to the network, you need to access the router page and check what the actual password is.

You may check these links for step-by-step instructioons how to retrieve that:

Title: Checking the Linksys router’s wireless settings through the web-based setup page

Article ID: 3698

Title: Connecting and configuration tips for your Android™ devices

Article ID: 28103