Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Terliko
Accepted Solution

Router WRT54GS, how to set up infrastructure mode.

Hi,

I am new in this board.  I have been using this router for many years.  I have two desktop computers and a laptop, the first two connected by cable, the laptop wireless.  I got a lcd tv and also got a lan connector (wireless) and would like to access the internet with my tv as well.  The tv manual says that it supports router in infrrastructure mode and no ad-hoc.  I believe the first time I set up the router was ad-hoc and now I would like to change it to infrastructure.   I have been searching everywhere and many people say to go to the set up wizard that came in the router cd but I have done it and I can not see the option to select it at all.  Could anyone help me to find the way to fix it?  I will really appreciate it.

toomanydonuts

Re: Router WRT54GS, how to set up infrastructure mode.

Your router is already setup in "Infrastructure" mode.  This is the only way you can setup your router.

"Infrastructue mode" means that the computer network is using a router.

"Ad-hoc mode" means that there is no router, just direct computer to computer connection(s).

Terliko

Thanks for your reply toomanydonuts.  I guess that somthing is wrong with the lan adapter then.  It can not connect, it gets stuck saying tha it can not ping the gateway. :smileysad:
castor

Have you installed the Wireless connector in your LCD TV ?

Does it need a CD to run ?

Do you see any Wireless Network available ?

As told by toomanydonuts your router is already in infrastructure Mode...As you have a Wireless Adapter for your TV you should check the Wireless Settings on your router, follow this link

Once you have the Wireless Settings then check if you can locate your Wireless Network on your LCD TV and attempt to connect to it, when prompted for Network Key enter the key and it should connect...If you are using WPA Key, make sure your LCD TV supports WPA Security, if not then you need to the security to WEP...

Terliko

Thank you guys for all your help.  Tonight I tried many times until it worked.  No idea but it works now.  Case is closed.  Thanks again.
MikeDC

a general question regarding ad-hoc connections.  When two devices are configured this way, is it necessary for each of them to have an IP address, or are they communicating at a different layer (i.e., using MAC address, or something)?

Thanks