Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
caper91

Router periodically stops broadcasting, must be power cycled to work

Hi, I am having trouble with my Linksys router.  It seems as though the wireless signal stops broadcasting periodically (the wireless LED goes out, but the wired lines are still functioning, and the Internet LED remains lit).  When this happens, my network goes down and the wireless card cannot see my network.

The fix is easy, but I don't think I should have to keep doing this...when I unplug the power to the router and then plug it back in after a few seconds, the wireless LED works again and the network goes back up.

It seems to be happening more frequently - could this be a driver or firmware issue?  I am running Win XP with a Linksys Wireless B router (BEFW11S4) and a Belkin USB Wireless G network card.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.
brickmonkey

Re: Router periodically stops broadcasting, must be power cycled to work

Yes this may be an issue with the firmware of the router ... You need to upgrade the firmware of the router from linksys website .... After upgrade ... reset & reconfigure the router ..
caper91

Router Model BEFW11S4 Version 4.0, Firmware version 1.52.02 released 4/7/2005

This is the latest firmware release available for my modem - it is also the same file that I had originally installed.

I am in the process of resetting and reconfiguring the router after re-uploading the firmware file.

Could this be related to my security setting?  I have the router set to WPA Pre-Shared Key - should I change this to a different security setting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
eburganjr

A Linksys rep made me aware of this when using WPA/WPA2. Are you using AES or TKIP? Apparently AES should be used in an -N only environment and TKIP should be used for a Mixed or -G or under environment.
Firedog In-Store PC Technician
caper91

I am using TKIP (the only option I have on the router's config page).  I have a -B router with a -G card.

I am 2 seconds away from buying a new router - I can't seem to figure this issue out and it is probably due to the fact that this router is so outdated.

I re-updated the firmware (though it was the same file that I originally had), reset and reconfigured the router, and I just had the same issue happen - had to switch to the local connection, repair the wireless connection so that it would even recognize or "see" the wireless network, then switch back to the wireless connection.

VERY frustrating to say the least!

Thanks again for your help...