nobleg

Router settings to allow Computers to have static IP's

I have a dsl modem, a wrt54gx2 router, and Windows XP pc's I want to be able to use static ip addresses on my PC's I want to know how to set up the router to allow for the use of static ip's on the pc's vs just getting DHCP. the modem uses PPPoE, and I was allowing the router to provide the user name and password. But I can't confirm that the router will allow the PC's to use static ip's such as 192.168.1.10, or 192.168.1.12 the reason I want to use static ip on the back side of my router is that the router is constantly loosing the ip address it receives from the modem, and my thought is that the modem and router were butting heads. I really have two questions/problems 1. how to confirm that I am able to use assigned ip address on my pc. 2. How to stop the modem from not providing the router an IP address. In the past I had a different linksys router (BRF41 or something like it)and it was easy to determine that I was using static ip's on the back side of the router. but don't have a clue where to look to determine that I'm using static ip on the WRT54.
nobleg

Re: Router settings to allow Computers to have static IP's

Is my post too long to get any response? If so. Where do I locate the linksys settings that allows me to assign and use static ip's on my PC.
maui29111

do you have a static account from your internet service provider?
you will know if you're really needing to use static ip for the router through your ISP...
nobleg

I want to assign static ip's to my PC's on the back side of my router. My DSL modem uses PPPoE.
nobleg

I have not been assigned a static ip address from my ISP. I get a DHCP ip address from my ISP
nobleg

I don't want my router to do DHCP, while my ISP is doing DHCP. I lose my connection, because my router would butt heads with my modem
maui29111

i see...there is a part on the router that will allow you to assign a static ip but only if the ip address and other info are given and assigned by your isp...if you're gonna assign a static ip on the router, you may not be able to get online or get internet connection
nobleg

I want my router to continue to be populated with the DHCP IP address from the ISP. I want my PC's to be assigned 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.20 I've done that in the past when I had a cable modem, but can't seem to do that with this DSL modem/ linksys Wrt54Gx2 router setup
maui29111

the ip addresses that you've assigned on your computer are from isp? or you were the one who created the ip addresses?
nobleg

They are created by me for my network. The ISP provides an IP address. the Router receives that ip address as you know. I don't want the router to assign ip addresses to my PC's I want to do that.