woodcrys

Router stopped working

Out of the blue, my linksys router has stopped working. It is a WRT54G version 8. I know that it is not my modem because I am hooked in to my modem right now. I tried hooking the router up to the modem and then hooking up the modem to my computer and the internet does not go through. Right when I plug the router in,  all of the 1234 ethernet lights come on as well as the internet light, whether the internet is plugged in or not. I've tried going to http://192.168.1.1 and it does not work at all. Please help me get it working! Thanks!

Re: Router stopped working

C | EH

linksyshelp.blogspot.com
binky

Tell me who provides you with the Internet Service i mean whether its a Cable or a DSL connection & accordingly i will give you the steps.
woodcrys

I have comcast cable.
priorpatch

The automatic updates for Microsoft XP and SP3 updates were installed on 8/1/08 or 8/2 /08and messed with a lot of peoples wireless connection once installed the Linksys firmware update seemed to correct the problem.
woodcrys

How do I install the firmware update without being able to get to the linksys set up page?
richard804

Are you using Zone Alarm?  There was a conflict between it and Microsoft updates.  I am using wrt54g version 8 and had no problems. Of course I am not using Zone Alarm.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
binky

Hey for that you need to logon to ftp.linksys.com/pub/network & download the tftp file on the pc & you will be able to update the firmware without opening the setup page of the router.
woodcrys

thanks for your help... I opened this page and see a bunch of files but don't know which one to download. I went to linksys and downloaded firmware but it is a ".bin" type file and I cannot figure out how to open it.
woodcrys

also, I cannot get into the set up page no matter what I type in for user name and password. I've tried a wide variety of "admin" and "Admin"s and nothing works. I'm a little confused because when I go to log in it says that I'm logging into a WRT54GS instead of a WRT54G version 8.