Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
seakayak
Accepted Solution

Router will not connect to computer

I just replaced a bad ethernet plug on my computer.  Now when I plug the router into it I do not get any internet.  The router has internet and my wireless laptop connects fine via the wireless signal..  I've replaced the cord from the router to the computer with a brand new one I know works.  Still no internet.  When I look at network settings the computer says it is connected to the router.  But no internet signal.  I also plugged the network directly into the computer and it works fine.  The ethernet plug is working.  Any suggestions?  I no longer have the book and cd for the router..

Mike

richard804

Re: Router will not connect to computer

Check the settings in Filter Mac Address in your router.  Your new adapter has a different Mac address so it would not be listed in your Filter.  You need to add the new mac address

Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
seakayak

How do I do this..  change the MAC address

richard804

You cannot change it.  Log on to your router then click on wireless then filter Mac Address.

seakayak

I've tried logging on to my router but the computer does not recognise the IP address.  When I look at it through the CMD prompt nothing is listed. 

richard804

Reset your router to factory settings and reconfigure your router.  Connect your computer to your router.  Enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Leave username  blank and admin as your password.  If you cannot connect use admin for username & password.

seakayak

Thank you for your patience with me...  If I reset the router to factory specs I need the CD to re set it up.  I do not have the CD.  Is there a way I can download that and run it that way?

Mike

richard804

You don't need the cd.  Just set it up manually.

seakayak

I reset the router and connected it to the computer using Ethernet 1 to the Ethernet plug on the computer.  It gives me limited connectivity notice.  I switched to another number on the router with thecable and eventually got a connection.  However wheh I run the IP address it gives an error that it takes too long for the IP address. Now I notice the port number on router is not always constant. 

peanuts

Do the following steps:

# Open up the browser and on the address bar type 192.168.1.1 that will open up the Router setup page.

# Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1400 or less (usually found on your router's main/ basic setup page).

# Then Click on wireless Tab select Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, and 11.

#Adjust the following advanced wireless settings:

~~ Lower the beacon interval from 100 to 75

~~ Lower the fragmentation threshold from 2346 to 2306

~~ Lower the RTS threshold from 2347 to 2304

Then check the wireless status..