BillHancock

Security For My Linksys Router

I have a Linksys wireless routewr connected to a broadband cable modem. I want to secure my wireless router so outside people can not use my router to access the internet or any network I am connected to via my cable modem. Can someone provide me the steps I should go through to put a security code on my Linksys router.
richard804

Re: Security For My Linksys Router

It is very simple.
Log on to your router and go to wireless page.
Change the SSID from Linksys to something else.  (Ex. Crash) Click on Save.
Now go to wireless security and set mode to WPA2 personal.
Set Algorithms to TKIP+AES.
Make a passphrase 8characters or more.  Click on Save.  Copy information on paper.
Now go to your computer with wireless adaptor and find your network in view availlable wireless network. Click on network name and input passphrase when asked.

Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
BillHancock

When you say log onto my router what do you mean? When it comes to this I am a kindergardner and need step by step instructions. The wireless router is connected to my cable modem which is connected to my home computer and I do not how to get to the wireless router.
richard804

Go to your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape) and input 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
Leave username blank and use admin as password.  You should now be log into your router.  Now go to wireless tab and follow previous instructions.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
evankruegel

What do i input into MY address bar..? thanks for the help!
picohat

You can also take a look on how to configure wireless router and wireless network security articles to help you protect your wireless network.
evankruegel

I am still very confused. The FAQ section says what to do, but not how to do it. I have no idea how to change any of the settings on my linksys router. The internet is working fine throughout my apartment, i just don't want the people throughout my whole building using it. right now the title is "linksys", and i guess there is no password. i don't know where to go to set one though. thanks for the help in advance.
Expert
Expert

Open a browser, e.g. Internet Explorer while your computer is wired to the router.

Enter URL http://192.168.1.1/
That's the webserver in your router.

It asks you for a username and password. Enter password "admin" (unless you have changed the password during initial setup) and no user name.

Now click on Wireless.

It shows you the wireless settings on the router.

Change the network name (SSID) from "linksys" to something unique.

Press the Save Settings button on the page before you continue.

Now click on Wireless Security.

This configures the wireless security settings.

Choose WPA2 Personal with AES+TKIP. Enter a strong passphrase, i.e. something hard to guess. It must be at least 8 characters and can be up to 63 characters. Leave the rest as it is.

Again Save Settings to confirm the change.

Next press on Administration. On the Administration tab you can change the password of the router. The password of the router protects the access to the configuration pages on which you are at the moment. The default password is "admin". Enter a new password twice into the password fields and press Save Settings again. Your browser will now ask you again for the user name and password as you have just changed the password on the router and the old "admin" is not valid anymore. Enter your new password into the password field and the browser returns to the Administration page. (Don't worry if the number of dots in the password fields do not match the number of characters you have just entered into the password field before.)

Now you have secured your wireless network with WPA2 security and protected the router configuration itself from changes by modifying the password.

Now switch on your wireless connection and search for networks. It should show you the new unique SSID you have set before. Try to connect to this SSID and the computer should automatically ask you for the passphrase. Enter your passphrase (not the router password) and you should be connected. You may want to clean up the list of "preferred" or known networks from the "linksys" network to prevent the computer connecting accidentally to the unconfigured Linksys router of your neighbor.
Klatch

Open an Internet Explorer browser page.In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave username blank & in password use admin.Click on the Wireless tab on the Setup page- Here Wireless Network mode
should be mixed- Provide any non linksys network name ....
Name (SSID) box- Set wireless channel to 11- And wireless SSID
broadcast should be Enabled and then click on "Save Settings" >>Now
Click on the Sub tab under wireless > "Wireless Security" Change the
Wireless security mode to "WEP/WPA"...have a note of the key ... click save settings ... this will help.
jv_123

so i tried to type in admin as the password and username but it wont let me in, so i dont know what to do from here