Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
brandonmarkb

Separate 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSIDs, or use the same?

Hi all,

So I'm pretty familiar with my way around my linksys routers, but last night I came across a concept that I found very intriguing. I had a WRT610N in the past, and always assumed that I needed to have a separate 5ghz network, with its own independent SSID, as well as the same for the 2.4ghz network. So for example, I would have "Network 1" as a selectable SSID for the 2.4ghz and "Network 2" as a selectable SSID for the 5ghz network.

As I mentioned, last night I came across the concept of using the same SSID for each network with the same password so that when I open my machine I can only choose "Network", and the machine (if it has dual-band capability) chooses the best band.

I implemented that in my network today, but I'm curious, is it worth it? Is it advantageous? I haven't searched a lot online, but some things seemed to indicate that having the ability to select the band yourself is the better way to go. Only 2 of my 12 network devices can even utilize my 5ghz band, so it's not a big deal to me at this point, but for future devices, what are some thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Expert
sabretooth

Re: Separate 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSIDs, or use the same?

I see no use for the same SSID.  I would rather connect to the one that I know is 2.4 or 5 Ghz, so mine are different.

brandonmarkb

Thanks for the response. I'm inclined to agree with you. I separated them out again last night after a trial of the combined SSID, and I do appreciate having the ability to choose my network myself. I'm thinking I'll keep it that way. 

If anyone else has an combined setup and has experiences with it being advantageous, I'd love to hear.

davidssw

I have an e4200V1 and I do use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5.  The reason for this is I want the transition from areas where the 5ghz works well to areas where only the 2.4 works to be seemless. You can almost alwasy tell which network you are connected to via the connection speed or you can use something like inSSider which will bold your current connection and show you which channels you are using.

brandonmarkb

davidssw, thanks for the response. If I might follow-up on that? You hit on a question I had. My concern with the same SSID was that say that I'm in a location where the 2.4 is the strongest, but my device chooses the faint 5ghz signal instead. I worried that in that case I would end up with worse wireless speeds. But it sounds like from your post that the hardware will choose the strongest signal it can find, regardless of spectrum. Is that safe to say? 

davidssw

It's been my expierence that the 5ghz band will get chosen If the signal is useable.  In my case I have a number of wireless devices but of those the only one's that have dual band wifi cards are two laptops located approx. 20 and 30 feet from the e4200.

On these two laptops the connection is Almost always to the 5ghz band. In looking at inSSider's table/graph on these two laptops the 2.4ghz signal is Almost always stronger than the 5ghz signal (by 8-10db) yet the laptops connect to the 5ghz band.

The main reason for the same SSID in my case is we have two wireless N cellphones (but the cell phones only support 2.4) as can be expected the cell phones move around a lot more than the laptops (which are really desktop replacements for us) with the primary location for one of the cell phones being in an area where the 5ghz. signal is not useable.

brandonmarkb

Thanks for this information, it's very useful. I appreciate it!

xccess

Is there any speed advantage (assuming you have the right wifi adapter) to having the same SSID?

I mean, Is naming the SSID between 5 and 2 GHz the same, what is needed for the WiFi Adapter to connect to both Frequenies at the same time to achieve 600MB/s?

techmein02

xccess wrote:

Is there any speed advantage (assuming you have the right wifi adapter) to having the same SSID?

I mean, Is naming the SSID between 5 and 2 GHz the same, what is needed for the WiFi Adapter to connect to both Frequenies at the same time to achieve 600MB/s?

That is not possible. An adapter will only be able to connect to one band at a time. It is selectable and not simultaneous. I agree with one of the posts above, that once you have connected to the 5GHz band it will stay connected as long as the network is in range an that is where the speed will better over the 2.4GHz.

MysticMaven

This might not be possible with the linksys equipment you're using, but with an AirPort Extreme and the latest Apple hardware like the ipad mini, you can use BOTH bands at the same time to get even faster performance! So in that case I'd use the same SSID instead of 2.